What's new
What's new

Suggestions for BT30 Dual Contact Tool Holders for a Brother Speedio S700Xd1

I recently purchased a Brother Speedio S700Xd1 with the 16k RPM normal torque Big Plus BT30 dual contact spindle and I am looking for tool holder suggestions. I ordered some Tegara ER collet tool holders from Shars and some from SK collet from Mari-tool. I started with these because they are less expensive and ship fast. I also didn't have to worry about trying to find the distributer and using up their time getting prices. I cut mostly low carbon steel and aluminum and usually don't do high tolerance parts. I am just wondering what tool holders people are using and what they like?

I use Mari-Tool. I use side-lock holders for most end mill work. I used to think the SK was the best but changed my mind, at least for the work I do.
Good luck.

Congratulations on the new S700Xd1! Great machine. Did you see this flyer with your quote?
For SK I recommend Nikken. Mostly I use (and recommend) good quality ER collet chucks, end mill holders for roughing and a face mill arbor. When ordering smaller ER (20, 16, 11 etc...) series chucks, don't get them too short or they will be more difficult to load in the magazine. 75, 80 or 100mm length for drills, taps and small or finishing end mills. Yamazen Tooling has staff ready to assist you.

Attachments

• YTPP Brother Toolholder Packages Q.pdf
    309.7 KB · Views: 41
I wouldn't trust a Shars holder in a new machine, let alone a dual contact. Doesn't take much error in the face grind to have it rattling around loose in your spindle.

Get everything you can from Frank at Maritool.

We mainly use ER16 and ER20 standard from Mari
Roughing we use dual stubby ER32 or in later years the Hydraulic from Mari tool.

There are some ER11 and Er25 mixed in too. Not a fan of the SK but the Big Daishowa Holders are mean and cut nice on roughers too. (1/2" roughers is the largest. stick tooling.
Have a 1.5" Face mill Iscar and some 2.5" and 3" 45 face mills.

in My S700 16k b+

We have 2-3 dozen holders from Mari-Tool.
Absolutely zero issues and no regrets.
Our Brother is the R450X1 pallet changer 16krpm.

No dual contact in my case but I’ll toss in another vote for Maritool. Almost all the new holders I’ve bought are from them. In particular i really like the super short set screw endmill holders for roughing.

Congratulations on the new S700Xd1! Great machine. Did you see this flyer with your quote?
For SK I recommend Nikken. Mostly I use (and recommend) good quality ER collet chucks, end mill holders for roughing and a face mill arbor. When ordering smaller ER (20, 16, 11 etc...) series chucks, don't get them too short or they will be more difficult to load in the magazine. 75, 80 or 100mm length for drills, taps and small or finishing end mills. Yamazen Tooling has staff ready to assist you.
I did get that filer but I didn't have much extra cash for tooling when I paid. Also, I don't really like going through a distributor. I sometimes just order a couple tool holders at a time if i need them for a job.

No dual contact in my case but I’ll toss in another vote for Maritool. Almost all the new holders I’ve bought are from them. In particular i really like the super short set screw endmill holders for roughing.
Looks like a lot of people are happy with Mari-Tool. I am happy with the small amount I have so far?

Thanks I have a 1/2" short set screw one but sometime needing a Weldon flat limits my tool choices.

We mainly use ER16 and ER20 standard from Mari
Roughing we use dual stubby ER32 or in later years the Hydraulic from Mari tool.

There are some ER11 and Er25 mixed in too. Not a fan of the SK but the Big Daishowa Holders are mean and cut nice on roughers too. (1/2" roughers is the largest. stick tooling.
Have a 1.5" Face mill Iscar and some 2.5" and 3" 45 face mills.

in My S700 16k b+
thanks

I wouldn't trust a Shars holder in a new machine, let alone a dual contact. Doesn't take much error in the face grind to have it rattling around loose in your spindle.

Get everything you can from Frank at Maritool.
Thanks for the input. Would I be able to hear an issue or see it in the finish. I haven't noticed anything yet but now I am concerned.

needing a Weldon flat limits my tool choices
All you need is a notch, maybe invest in a dedicated bench grinder with a diamond wheel? I do this but for one-offs and side projects, if I was going to get production quantities of tools I'd just have them ground by the supplier.
I've seen some grinders and wheels specifically for weldon flats if you want to ball out.

I use Mari-Tool. I use side-lock holders for most end mill work. I used to think the SK was the best but changed my mind, at least for the work I do.
Good luck.
I second Mari-Tool, great holders for my Brother configured with exactly same spindle as OP.

Thanks I have a 1/2" short set screw one but sometime needing a Weldon flat limits my tool choices.
Not at all. You just need a bench grinder with a diamond wheel. Very quick and it’s even better than a pre ground flat in that you can place the flat where you want.

I have a cutter grinder too but often use the bench grinder for flats. The cutter grinder has the advantage of allowing many other modifications to standard cutters.

You don't even need a bench grinder and diamond wheel. The one acceptable use in the machine shop for a Dremel is with a diamond bit sitting right next to your tool loading station. The set screw doesn't need a huge flat.

I have used Tegara standard BT30 holders and they worked fine, but don't tell anyone... This was back when they had sales, for regular prices just go Maritool.

Last edited:
Not at all. You just need a bench grinder with a diamond wheel. Very quick and it’s even better than a pre ground flat in that you can place the flat where you want.

I have a cutter grinder too but often use the bench grinder for flats. The cutter grinder has the advantage of allowing many other modifications to standard cutters.
We just use a pedestal grinder and a green wheel. The diamond wheel gets abused and destroyed way too quickly around here.

Good luck.
Can you expand on why you don't like SK as much? I was going to migrate some finishers to them figuring better runout than sidelocks.

Maritool was kind enough to put into production some 3/8 side locks (dual contact) with 1.75 gauge length. They will probably be live in 8-10 weeks per an recent update. I like this length because it's very short, but not so short to where coolant gets to be an issue. With the super short, there's not a lot of room between the spindle body and the part, and with the factory coolant routing, it can be tricky to get it in there. I'm going to run my roughers in those. Little stuff I use ER16.

OP, on your spring loaded flap where you install the tool in the carousel, do you have sharp M3 bolt tails sticking in from the flap? I did and assumed Brother let the new guy design that part. Taper scratches inbound. I added some longer bolts, flipped them so head was on the inner side, and put plastic bolt caps on the heads.

Back