What's new
What's new

Suggestions for new automatic surface grinders for very basic work

Bradsc1989

Plastic
Right now I’ve been using an acer 1224 automatic grinder. The spindle bearings are roaring so loud I have to wear hearing protection, the ways are worn, and the controller for the cross feed works sporadically. So I’ve been tasked with getting quotes and what not for a new machine. This will be, for the most part, a one trick pony. We have a bunch of production machines called roller cutters. The jaws that clamp the part also serve as one side of the blade. We’re cutting stainless steel tube with them. Whenever they do changeovers to different tube diameters they bring the jaws to me in the machine shop where I take whatever is necessary to get them back sharp on the surface grinder using a cbn wheel. Usually .020” will get them back good but sometimes they’re chipped and need a lot more . what I require is atleast a 10” cross feed and the ability to run it automatically so I can complete other tasks on the mill or lathe while it’s running. There’s just so many options out there and I’m not real sure which ones are total junk and what aren’t, or are they all the same cookie cutter Korean machines with different paint jobs? I’ve been eyeing one from Kaast machine tools, they look nice and aren’t super expensive, manufactured in Taiwan but they have an office and warehouse here in the states. I’d like to keep the machine around or less than $30k. im the only machinist So it will only ever be asked to run 8 hours a day 3-4 days a week. Maybe it would be easier to tell me what to avoid like the plague? Thanks in advance

Back