What's new
What's new

Surface Finish Issues on New Machine

Rcgiovannani

Plastic
There is no agreement. I would like to think I handled the situation “professionally”. You can get what you want or need from people by being direct while also being respectful. Being an ***hole gets you nowhere pretty quickly.

They are definitely taking care of me now, and I would like them to continue taking care of me so I don’t want to throw them under the bus.

I posted this thread to get help / ideas about what could be causing this because it’s my only machining center and I need it running.

MaxPrairie

Hot Rolled
I thought you had mentioned they had run your same program on a showroom machine and it was better but not great. Hopefully the new one gets you running smooth soon.

Reactions: Ox

Rcgiovannani

Plastic
I thought you had mentioned they had run your same program on a showroom machine and it was better but not great. Hopefully the new one gets you running smooth soon.

We were able to improve the finish on that machine with certain codes on the Siemens controller.

Used:

JERKLIM[X] = 50
JERKLIM[Y] = 50

Also tried:
"SOFT" command which also improved the surface finish.

Siemens is super powerful, but sometimes it can be overwhelming with how much you can change right in your program. With those adjustments to my program I was able to get pretty decent results. It actually looks even better than the picture in person.

IMG_0860.jpg

triumph406

Titanium
Dunno what your running for endmills, but I've been very impressed with YG-1 Alu-Power endmills, I rough and finish with the same endmill and they have impressive life running in Aluminum. (until the vise/something steel etc gets in the way)

barbter2

Aluminum
They could fix it on-site, but they know that this is a small shop and said that the amount of time it would take to go through and fix it would be “unfair” to me. So that’s pretty good customer service in my opinion.
That's great news they're doing good for you.
Please report back when (if) you know, what they did to fix your original machine. There surely was a combination of something loose in the Z, and servo tuning?

Rcgiovannani

Plastic
That's great news they're doing good for you.
Please report back when (if) you know, what they did to fix your original machine. There surely was a combination of something loose in the Z, and servo tuning?
I will. They told me that they would tell when they figure it out. I think it's mostly something being loose on the head.