What's new
What's new

Surface Grinder Ripples

Thank you all for the advice and input! I will try to answer all the questions in one post so I'm not spamming the forum.

I was taking the shallowest depth of cut I could get, this was a bit hard as the elevation handle is extremely sensitive and only designates .001" increments, no tenths. At most I was maybe taking one thou off per pass.

As for stepover it was maybe .010" - .020", at least that is what the handle read.

The diamond we used to dress the wheel is pretty dull, we do not know exactly what type of wheel we are cutting with and the machine is sitting on a wood pallet which may be introducing some vibration. I think we will try eliminating all of these possibilities in the coming week and see what the result is.

Here are images of the machine and wheel:
IMG_0329.JPG
IMG_0331.JPG

Thanks,
Justin

Likely the diamond is OK ..but give it a 1/4 turn in the holder..reset the height as needed so it doesn't crash into the wheel
Buck.

ps; Nice looking machine..but I don't like the far down reach to the down hand wheel.
Also do not like the reach up to the down hand whee like my Brown & shape and 13 grinder has...give that grinder a quick rag wipe each time you use it and it will clean up.... pink lotion soap worked well for cleaning a machine.

Last edited:
Could be a number of things.
- Wheel balance.
- Poor or no dress.
-The wheel not wrench-tight and so tightens at starting or engaging the part.
- Hardness of the wheel or of the part.
- Having a bow/hollow on the opposite side of the part.
- Using the wrong grinding technic such as down-grinding* or incremental cross.
for starters.

*But no point in guessing until we know what you are doing.

QT: (a 5 degree turn of the handle is enough to plunge the wheel.)
Do you mean to say 5 thousandths?
QT: as the machine was set up by a professional. and he made a decent grind?
*Good to post wheel specifications and part thickness and hardness -> File soft, or too hard to file...and your grinding technic.
(*down grinding .005 and even .0005 may be way too much depending on the wheel or the part.)
I am new to surface grinding and have been experimenting with our Proth surface grinder on a test piece of steel.

I have the feed rate pretty slow and the cut depth is very shallow (although the steel stock is not perfectly flat with high and low spots of a few thou). When I go to make a pass, I keep getting these ripples in the surface finish and no matter how much I tweak things, they seem to persist. The depth adjustment seems very sensitive to me; a 5 degree turn of the handle is enough to plunge the wheel into the stock and cause the spindle to slow down. I am almost certain this is due to user error as the machine was set up by a professional. Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

-Justin
View attachment 385908
Most people don't understand that the complexities of grinding are a numerous as any other machining operation
So, by the pic I see how the material has burned, surface grinding should be done with LOTS of coolant. Long thin plates have the tendency to heat up really quick and they get "sucked into" the wheel by the material rapidly heating up and expanding into the wheel. I would put an indicator on the wheel head and turn the wheel down until you get .001" downfeed just to get a feel for how much travel looks like on the dial. I am really surprised it doesn't have graduations in at least .001" or maybe the dial could use some 7447(maroon) scotch brite polishing to see if there are actually numbers on it.
Unless you are doing some serious production grinding keep your down feed at .0002" to .0005" max, and again the coolant thing mentioned above, the more the better. The ripple effect could be one of many things, balance usually being the most prevalent cause for that issue. But there could be a bearing issue on the spindle, or there is also the possibility that the machine isn't lubricating the ways properly, or the wrong oil is in the machine(stick slip). Just like machining with any tool, the instant the feed is interrupted the tool leaves a mark where it was stopped . Most surface grinders use the hydraulic oil as the way lubricant as well, but there are a few exceptions I believe.
Balance is an issue with larger wheels, but usually smaller wheels with the 1-1/4" hole do not need to be balanced, just dress them smooth and take a test cut. Stop the spindle, re-start it and see if the problem comes back, it could be that the wheel flange is bad, or just not tight enough to keep the wheel in its proper place, and when you turn the spindle on the wheel actually shifts on the hub or the hub on the spindle taper too. Usually if there is a chatter issue you will be able to feel the machine vibrating if balance or bearings are an issue. Simple test for that one, put a fine test indicator on the chuck, turn the spindle on and the needle will show the vibration.
Wheel grade is very important as well. General practice is softer steel harder wheel, harder steel softer wheel. The wrong grit, bond, or even the grain spacing can dramatically effect the performance of grinding operations. There should be a wheel manufacturer's rep somewhere in your area that can come by to give a recommendation based on the job you want to do. I stick with the old favorite I or J bond. When the leading edge starts "loading" with material the bond will let that area break down, thus eliminating the loaded area and moving into fresh grit. I prefer smaller cross feeds, .050-.100 per pass, but if you need a really fine finish drop to .015-.030 cross feed and don't be afraid to let the machine do a long spark out period. I've done thousands of gages that had to have a very fine finish(mirror 0.8) without lapping. Just takes time, experimentation and patience.
The color of the burn can tell you a lot too. If I recall correctly, the first stage of burning is around 600° at the point of contact between the wheel and material. Blue is at around 800°, and there is actually a silvery type of burn that starts around 1000° at the POC. Keep this in mind if the hardness of the material is critical to the integrity of the part you are making. You can alter the mechanical properties of the material by rushed grinding.
Dressing can be an issue too. If you look at the diamond and see a flat spot you will need a new one. The larger the wheel the larger the carat size needs to be. It needs to be rotated every once in a while to keep a sharp dressing edge on the wheel. Most machines use the dresser at an angle off the centerline of the wheel to be able to rotate and get a fresh edge.
This seems like a lot of info to digest at once but this is only the tip of the iceberg in the grinding field. I would say that if you can get a rep to come over they will be able to help you a lot better than any of us could on this forum, the info we get can be so limited...

Likely the diamond is OK ..but give it a 1/4 turn in the holder..reset the height as needed so it doesn't crash into the wheel
Buck.

ps; Nice looking machine..but I don't like the far down reach to the down hand wheel.
Also do not like the reach up to the down hand whee like my Brown & shape and 13 grinder has...give that grinder a quick rag wipe each time you use it and it will clean up.... pink lotion soap worked well for cleaning a machine.
Creamy hand cleaner is awesome too(GoJo), and you can clean your surface plates with it as well. I use my hands and wipe them down, buff with a couple of clean cloths and they are so smooth...

I visited one of my customers years ago and he was crying because the nice-looking surface grinder he just bought had a bad spindle.. I pulled the wheel and it ran pretty well with the bouncing gone...so I went to my shop and grabbed a fresh wheel ..put it on his grinder with a fresh dress..and bingo, the spindle was perfect.
The wheel was likely coolant soaked on one side from shut down with the coolant running.

Last edited:
Put that thing on the floor and at least rough level it then you'll have a nice machine in comparable condition to everyone here. Try it again, after you turn the diamond and post pictures. We have new guy here who will burn a part on the same setup the rest of us are using-same diamond, material, wheel, machine- he's not moving the material fast enough. Don't give up, keep trying.

We ran another test today and I filmed part of the cut. We redressed the wheel with a new sharper diamond, used a super accurate dial indicator to confirm cut depth, and drastically increased coolant flow. I think all of this helped but there are still very faint "ghost lines" in the finish.

The cut started pretty light at a measured .0003" but progressively went deeper as the part was definitely not consistent and the spark got noticeably larger. Still, I don't think we went over .001", so I will consider this our "roughing" pass.

In the image at the end of the video you can visibly see the lines I am referring to. However, they appear to become faint and disappear as you approach the edge. My hypothesis is that if we can take a shallower, more consistent cut, we'll get no lines and a much better surface.

VIDEO:

I am still reading though all the response! Thanks!

-Justin

looking much better, but I need a still photo to copy it for my book. Is the part coming out flat within .001. from front to back and long way?
Do you see evidence of Oil on the ways.

I am suspecting it is an oil ways grinder...it it? or a ball ways machine?

Last edited:
looking much better, but I need a still photo to copy it for my book. Is the part coming out flat within .001. from front to back and long way?
Do you see evidence of Oil on the ways.

I am suspecting it is an oil ways grinder...it it? or a ball ways machine?
I’m in same shop, manual from Taiwan says it has “ball-rolling slideways.”

I don't always like to blame the wheel, one would think that for a .001 take any wheel should work. But the wheel is the easiest to change, If the wheel was way too hard and would not break down until it got heavily loaded it might cause such a finish. Usually, HIJKL hardness would/should/might be Ok for such a part....and a 46 grit might be Ok. I usually prefer a white or pink aluminum oxide wheel.
I usually don't angle set my part on the chuck because the grinding load is light at first, gets heavy/more, and then gets light again. Such differences in grinding load could stress the machine's rigidity or cause wheel slow-down...Eric suggested he may have noted slow-down. In my many years of grinding, I don't think I ever saw anybody doing angle setting the part ..and lately, I saw a guy on youtube doing that.
I would try a different wheel, then tug-tug on the wheel head with an indicator placed to be sure it was solid, cleaning the balls would not hurt but that may be a machine repair hand task.

PS: it can be good on some grinders to bump the lead and follow edge of the wheel. a Norbide stick or just a piece of carbide like a carbide drill shank bump a 64th x 45*

Last edited:
I went to youtube and found the guy setting parts at an angle. He sets the part at 30 to make his touch-off a little less crunchy. with just hitting the corner..? , the first time I heard of that... and sets the part at a 30* angle because he likes that appearance on his part..and he flings his long travel as fast as he can fling it..never saw that done before.

The Op's chunk of steel would make/be a nice bench gauge, or mini personal surface plate, with it having a few bolt holes to mount a bar or an indicator post, and having all 6 side square to <.0002 or so it might be used as a right angle square when empty.

Last edited:
I don't like that angled setting of the part on the chuck either. In addition to Buck's concerns, there is a lot more chance for uneven wheel wear on entry and exit that way I think. A fast longitudinal table speed is usually beneficial for light depth, high cross increment grinding style, in my experience. I agree that bumping the corners of the wheel with a Norbide might help with the marks he's having too.

One more thing after absentmindedly thinking about this. I noticed that this machine has a built-in over-the-wheel dresser. Are you using that for dressing the wheel? If you are, don't use it for finish grinding. They are notoriously difficult to keep aligned, and, I imagine especially so on an unstable machine setting on a pallet. Use a diamond set in a block stuck to the magnet for finish dressing. The overhead dresser is fine for rough grinding.

Good post Eric #74.. I was writing about the same and possible wiggle waggle in this dresser assembly, then saw your post.

Most if not all the grinder hands that I worked with would put a part straight on the chuck long ways direction, dressed, a rapid but not crazy fast dress, used small cross increments, like .020 to.060, and a comfortable long travel (not crazy fast.)
Much of the thinking was to keep the following portion of the whee fresh and the lead-in portion of the wheel to wear away and accumulate any loading...and the part is set at the shortest distance across for the shortest time on the part.
I have long traveled a greater cross increment on the grind-side, and a less cross increment on the climb-side, especially with ball-way long travel machines where climbing might pull/suck the part to go faster than I wanted to go. Grinding a chuck or a big part are places this can be important, and grinding some CPM that act almost as hard as carbide.

Last edited:

Back