What's new
What's new

Surface grinder videos, take care because some are not giving good information.

michiganbuck

Diamond
Seems older grinder hands give better information, guys with 5 or more years running grinders. Even manufacturers have posted some poor videos. I just sent an email to one(manufacturer) that posted a youtube full of wrong information, we will see if they email me back.

No, I won't mention their name (yet) so to give them a chance to make good. I don't know much about their machine because I have not used their surface grinder.

Here is a good SG youtube worth watching.
Grinding wheels and surface finish. - YouTube

Well they did reply, that is good.

Re:

James,
Thank you for your feedback. We will have our team review it and make improvements on any future grinder videos.
Thanks,
Davie

I did mention/offer that I would help them with reviewing future videos.

I don't know if I can mention the surface grinder name here on PM as it may be considered a hobby-level surface grinder selling new for about $4.000. It does look a lot like the (unmentionable) G machine surface grinder.

Yes, likely I could offer machine design advice that might improve the machine.

A newbee watching that video would be destined for serious and dangerous problems.

On a G machine surface grinder video, the fellow said that the T machine surface grinder has been discontinued.

And seeing the G machine equipment/tools they confirm that this machine is of about the same poor quality.

And he proceeded to have the wheel come loose. If he was in a grind likely he may have had a crash, and perhaps a broken wheel or a thrown part with a loose wheel.

Wow, Here is my warning Dont even consider one of these bargain import surface grinders.

I will take look at a user manual, likely it gives unsafe advice.

I read the G machine operator's manual and found that it gives insufficient, poor, and unsafe instruction.

OSHA should outlaw the G machine operator's manual.

likely I could rewrite/improve their manual, perhaps improve their machine.
I have never used a G machine so don't know how good or bad it may be.

If the G machine company wishes to contact me they might send a personal message through PM.

Likely I will/may send them an email.

You should. I would suggest that you make sure you get paid for your services before giving them anything. I think you already know why these aren't approved for discussion here... Looks like you just got proof. Most knowledgeable folks think of these types of machine as a "kit" machine, and are prepared to make improvements. I think a better approach is to buy a good quality secondhand machine.

QT: (as a "kit" machine, and are prepared to make improvements.)

I and other seasoned grinder hands could make improvements, but we are not the ones buying these machines.

The newbies are the ones who need a decent machine and proper instruction. What a darn shame someone would make such a poor operator's manual...and likely as poor a machine.

Someone with two weeks' grinding experience would know better.

The guy in the G machine video failed with his first fire-up because of poor operator manual instruction.

Seems older grinder hands give better information, guys with 5 or more years running grinders. Even manufacturers have posted some poor videos. I just sent an email to one(manufacturer) that posted a youtube full of wrong information, we will see if they email me back.

No, I won't mention their name (yet) so to give them a chance to make good. I don't know much about their machine because I have not used their surface grinder.

Here is a good SG youtube worth watching.
Grinding wheels and surface finish. - YouTube
The magnification of the wheels was pretty cool. never though to do this before, I rely on my magnifying glass or 10x loupe.

Back