What's new
What's new

Swiss style machine for grinding

M. Roberts

Cast Iron
Hello all, I hope everyone has been Covid free. One of the products that is in the manufacturing que, is a bunch (100 per week) of these small "dime sized" washers with a funny chamfer on the ID as well as the back side of the part. I am currently wire EDMing out 4" long tubes (id and od), and the grinding work is done out of house, and supposedly on manual equipment. I posed the idea to bring that work back in house, and have been tasked with finding a machine. I see a ton of "swiss style" machines for sale, but I don't know how well they would hold up to the environment; the material is ceramic, therefore, the tools are diamond. I envision the tube being chucked up (like a bar feeder) doing the work on one side, having a second spindle grasp the finished end, slice off the part, and finish the back side...easy, right? Just push the green button....any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mark

If the numbers of parts makes sense, check into having these net molded and fired. If tolerances are more critical than can be achieved this way, perhaps a dedicated machine for final ops and a feeder?

Aside from that, you may be able to get Citizen or whoever to modify a machine to suit, sort of like what's done with precision CNC mills for making EDM electrodes.

Milland,

Thank you for the reply. The tolerances and surface finish requirements are tighter than what can be achieved via molding. A green ceramic part of that size would be pretty fragile to boot.

When you say "modify a machine", what were you referring to?

Mark

Essentially it's working with a manufacturer to modify an existing machine with extra sealing and/or dust evacuation to prevent abrasive swarf from getting into areas that can cause damage. So O-rings or similar around the spindle, collet or drawbar actuation, etc. Dust removal with coolant separation if doing the work wet (which I think will be desirable).

I'm not an expert in the area, but at least this gives you a little to think about. In your favor is that you don't have to worry about the electrical risks of carbon dust floating around, as the electrode machines need to.

Milland,

Machine update. So far, I have reached out to the local Citizen Swiss rep, and the Tsugami rep...at first, the Citizen rep came back and claimed that they "had a solution" for me...I called them and he retracted his statement. He gave me the contact info for a Swiss shop; I contacted him for a conversation....he cringed as well. I am still waiting to hear from the Tsugami rep....I don't have high hopes, but I hope that I am wrong.

Mark

Hi M Roberts:
One of the premier names for complex grinding on medical parts and cutting tools like surgical burs is a company called Rollomatic.
If anyone can help you through the process to a robust solution, they can.
I'd give them a call.

These are expensive machines, but I'll bet they are less expensive and more reliable than a bodged together Swiss.
They can also offer you a process, tuned to the results you want with everything from the wheels to the coolant, to the training, ready to go.
All you have to do is splash the cash.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Milland,

Machine update. So far, I have reached out to the local Citizen Swiss rep, and the Tsugami rep...at first, the Citizen rep came back and claimed that they "had a solution" for me...I called them and he retracted his statement. He gave me the contact info for a Swiss shop; I contacted him for a conversation....he cringed as well. I am still waiting to hear from the Tsugami rep....I don't have high hopes, but I hope that I am wrong.

Mark

I've done some green ceramic cutting, then had pretty accurate results post-firing. I know you're concerned about that, but I'd still think it's worthwhile to look into getting rough blanks molded, fired, then finish grind the critical features.

If you want, pm me a representative image of the part (doesn't have to be complete or the actual item if it's proprietary), and I can give a little more tailored advice.

Good morning.
Donovan, thank you for the info...I don't know if I would buy a machine with the name "Junker"...kind of reminds me of Chevy selling the "Nova" in Mexico :)! No, seriously, I wasn't thinking form grinding because the part requires ID work as well...

Marcus: Thank you for the info on the "Rollomatic" machine; I will take a look at them.

I am really surprised that there aren't machines out there for the job that I need to do...my guess is that there is a carbide equivalent part out there that has to be ground...IDK...

Milland: Part of the issue in "green machining" this part...machining prior to infusing the material with metal, is that it shrinks/grows dimensionally...in addition, there will be a nub from where the metal wicked into the porous part which would need to be finished somehow...

Mark

People,

Good morning, I hope all of your respective worlds are well. Well, I am not having any luck with finding a manufacturer that is really willing to give my parts a shot. I have reached out to Rollomatic, Citizen, Syugami, Kern, and a few others that presently elude my reptilian brain...I really thought that someone would bite on this opportunity...does anyone have any additional machine manufacturer suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

Back