What's new
What's new

Tada.... Son's TRT210 on a 98VF/4 first part and Thanks to all here who helped!

countryguy

Hot Rolled
A grand day today! The 1998 VF/4 , with a TRT210 4th and 5th platter successfully made our first part in a 3+2 mode. So many here helped us learn and repair this VF/4 that I just wanted to pop a note and link to the video the kid made. yes... it's a little blurry and a bit crappy- He'll put up something better soon. He has grand plans as of May 14th when he graduates.
VIDEO:
YouTube

Pic:
IMG-3624.jpg
Some high-level 'the journey' items:
  • CAD/CAM is solidworks .edu w/ HSMWorks free CAM plug-in.
  • Post Processor is the HSMWorks/AutoDesk Haas pre-NGC PP and we had to figure out A/B some tweaks.
  • COR- Everything is based off of Center of Rotation. He spent a lot of time learning how to solve COR, then create an accurate model of the table, TRT210, and 5th Axis workholding. From there ... pop your design in, and begin CAM work.
  • in HSMCam- We needed to set the tool orientation to Z-X mode. (?I think that's the one) It's a setting and documented. Essentially, Z in HSM will always be presented to the tool and it'll do its magic in the coding for the moves w/ the rotary. (may make sense to ya'll - but we had to figure it out as we experimented).
  • Tool length offset measures are all based off COR. We had a real joy figuring that mental-brain-warping deal out. but it makes sense once you solve the how.
  • Setting up the 4th for the proper 120' full travel and setting to be flat on home took some time but all the posts and Q&A here it too was solved.
  • OS firmware of 9.64N has the updated TRT parms for the Haas which really helped... a far cry from original CPU boards 9.49 stuff. (Had to buy a new CPU along the journey). We also tore down the TRT and inspected and cleaned everything. Sealed it up... ready for real cutting we hope!

Proud Dad moment for sure. He did almost all the 3+2 work while I do the day-job thing. Looking more and more like I'll get to be his first employee some point soon :cool: ...but Man, all the work we spent rebuilding and repairing this thing... Yikes! some of you have seen our dire posts... every other week something blew up on us for a time. So thanks again for the help and nudge. For anyone looking to buy a used machine.... Spend the extra $10K get the newer model! I wish I had.... :-)

Back