What's new
What's new

Taiwan birmingham 14x40

Cmille308

Plastic
I purchased my grandpa’s Birmingham lathe and knee mill a few months ago from my dad and just recently got them placed in my shop. My grandpa had wired them for 110 and when I fired them up they are both grossly under powered. My grandpa passed away over 10 years ago so I have to backtrack whatever he did to the wiring to bring it all back to 220. I was able to figure out the mill and it is now firing on all cylinders and is working great! The lathe on the other hand, I am beating my head against a wall. I can trace it all out and eventually figure it all out but I thought I would post it up here to see if anyone has a wiring diagram, or photos of their wiring box and motor so I can figure out what is missing a little easier and quicker. It is the older Taiwan made Birmingham 14x40 with a single phase motor. I tried to attach photos but it keeps coming up with file size being too large. I’ll work on that issue later. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Unless it was just wired wrong, operation on 110 or 220 it should be same horsepower. Depending on Hp the 110 circuit may need to be higher than the standard 20 amp 110v household current. Pics need to be under 1mb or you get the "too large" message.

The wiring on the motor end is still in the 220 configuration, so I’m pretty sure the wiring is not “correct “. That’s why I’m struggling piecing it all back together. It runs on 110, forward and reverse but bogs down at higher rpms or under load at any rpm.

Got it figured out, the motor was still wired for 220 but was running off 110 which is why it seemed under powered. Because it was. So all I needed to do was find the “constant” hot line and disconnect it from its power source and put the other hot line coming from the 220 to it. Works like a champ now!

Back