What's new
What's new

Taking a poll of those interested in a 10EE Follow Rest casting.

That I don't know. Harry was a very sharp guy and he made his out of steel plates. I suppose if you were in a production environment, making long, thin parts and going for maximum depth of cut to get the most parts per hour, you might get to a point where the differences in the two materials was a factor...

But for our purposes here, having a rest that the more people will buy would reduce the cost per unit. And there's the option of having a cast iron riser that bolts onto a steel bridge.

There's no reason that a 3-point riser can't be used with Harry's bridge system. And, as mentioned before, it would allow the riser to be used on more than one lathe model.

I would be interested in one as well depending on price and such. As long as the price isn't super crazy. I've got a square dial.

Sign me up for a 3 point version that would clear a DRO scale on a 1963 model square dial (30 inch bed). At least make sure that I’m made aware of what type/decision is made, as I’d like to have a follower rest.

I've never seen a 10EE, round-dial or otherwise with a 12" swing. They are all badged as 12.5". If you have one with a data plate listing it as 12", I would love to see a photo.

I would be in for just about any of them, but would prefer the standard 2 prong version like in Brandenburger's photo !! ['67 square dial here]
I have given a LOT of thought on making my own with a weldment, but time has provided me little extra over the years. I DO need a follower tho.

So... does this quantity of people constitute a quorum for Martin Model & Pattern to be interested?

I would be interested in a casting spaced for the DRO scale.

I'd be willing to lend out my non-DRO follower if needed for design of the mold.

One detail to mention-- I'm not sure if all 10ee's if they didn't originally have a follower would have mounting holes drilled? If so, I'm not sure how precisely they were placed. On mine the holes don't quite line up with the follower (which wasn't the one that came originally with the machine).

Regardless, the foot design on the right side of the cross-slide would either require drilling a new mounting hole in the saddle, or a deep counterbore through the wider leg if the original screw location is to be used.

IMG_4417 (1).jpg

I think that the only thing that's been established is that there are a number of people with some interest in a follower rest. Once someone puts forward a single design and gets with Gary to find out how many people he would need and what the seed cost would be, I don't think we really know. At that time, a new thread can be started to poll actual interest.

I have no use for a square-dial rest, but that seems to be the most popular response so far. Again, a two-piece design, as I proposed (link) would allow the top part to be used with either round- or square-dial 10EEs and even on larger swing and non-Monarch lathes. That's what makes the most sense to me.

Here's Harry Bloom's two-piece design for a 10EE:
the-home-shop-machinist-nov-dec-2011-pg34-fig-24-jpg.381343

And an alternate two-piece design:
2pt-follower-rest-1-jpg.381345

As to the question about mounting holes. As far as I know, all 10EEs shipped with follower rests as standard equipment and would therefore have mounting holes. (All of the 10EE brochures that I have list them as standard equipment.) However, the saddle has plenty of meat and drilling a few more mounting holes shouldn't be a big concern.

Someone with a CAD program may need to help out here.
When I sent Patterns&Castings my taper attachment clamp during our conversation Gary/Patterns&Castings said that he would have to spend a lot of time measuring and making a drawing. Luckily forum member (Chips Everywhere) had posted a CAD drawing of the taper att. clamp on page one of the Taper Clamp Thread. I sent that drawing to Gary for reference.
Saving Gary some time making a model may help with initial costs. A conversation or two with him prior to sending him a part to copy would help him help us.
I sent him my broken and (bondo) modified taper clamp for square or round dial so I think he will need a physical part with dimensions.
He completely built a new model using my Taper Clamp as a rough sample.
I don't know what would be involved in modifying for a digital readout but to get 20 buyers it may help the cause.
I haven't been much help with this.
In post 22 of this thread Gary said that he needs 20 committed buyers to start

Last edited:
FWIW: I've been fooling around with this follower rest concept drawing for a few years.

It's based on measurements taken from my 1941 round dial, a pair of 10EE steady rest jaws and scaling & sketching several internet photos of the square dial follower rest.

Understand that I have never seen an actual 10EE follower rest and the concept would require alterations to suit a square dial machine and to allow clearance for DRO scale mounting.

I will share the .dwg file and my photos with Gary Martin, if that will move the project along.

Sorry, but the .jpg attachment is not crisp and clear.

Mike

PM_follower_rest_R00_1-25-2023.jpg

Back