What's new
What's new

Tapered bearing as zero point

Madis Reivik

Hot Rolled
Hello all !

I have a simple fixture to make and I had an idea
Why not use tapered bearings instead of reamed hole / pin ?

Has anybody done that ? Bearings are cheap and accurate, much cheaper than true zero point holder system.

I was thinking about putting 4 bearings in the jig corners and put the M10 bolt tru them.

Hello all !

Has anybody done that ? Bearings are cheap and accurate, much cheaper than true zero point holder system.

I was thinking about putting 4 bearings in the jig corners and put the M10 bolt tru them.

I would say "why?" but maybe I don't understand what you mean.

Hello all !

I think you would run the risk of Brinelling the Cups in a static bearing configuration. A common method used to locate a pallet in a multi pallet change machine is via a solid cone and cup arrangement; that would be preferable to Taper Roller bearings.

Regards,

Bill

Hello all !

I think you would run the risk of Brinelling the Cups the cups in a static configuration. A common method used to locate a pallet in a multi pallet change machine is via a solid cone and cup arrangement. That would be preferable to Taper Roller bearings, but they would have to be accurately made to ensure the height at each corner was spot on. Measured as an assembly then ground to height perhaps.

Regards,

Bill

I think you would run the risk of Brinelling the Cups the cups in a static configuration. A common method used to locate a pallet in a multi pallet change machine is via a solid cone and cup arrangement. That would be preferable to Taper Roller bearings, but they would have to be accurately made to ensure the height at each corner was spot on. Measured as an assembly then ground to height perhaps.

Regards,

Bill

Yes, Brinelling might be a problem. But its mostly light aluminium cutting (front panels) so the cutting force is very low.

I will fix the inner part on the table along with the ball-cage and outer part will be on the fixture.
And I will use 4 of these, fixing bolt M8 will go trough the bearing.

One bearing costs about 3-4 euros, so its worth a try. Also, as the ball(or roll)cage rotates between fixture changes (air blast) then it maybe wears evenly.

I let you folks know, I think the fixture is in operation at the end of this week.

Hello all !

Generally, I use only (2) locating points, first one is a dowel, second is a diamond pin.

Using (4) is just asking for fighting between locators.

Generally, I use only (2) locating points, first one is a dowel, second is a diamond pin.

Using (4) is just asking for fighting between locators.

Pallet changing HMC's often use four as AngelW described. I expect the accuracy is probably a magnitude better than wheel bearings in aluminum though.

Yes, Brinelling might be a problem. But its mostly light aluminium cutting (front panels) so the cutting force is very low.

I will fix the inner part on the table along with the ball-cage and outer part will be on the fixture.
And I will use 4 of these, fixing bolt M8 will go trough the bearing.

One bearing costs about 3-4 euros, so its worth a try. Also, as the ball(or roll)cage rotates between fixture changes (air blast) then it maybe wears evenly.

I let you folks know, I think the fixture is in operation at the end of this week.

IMO, too many places for a chip to get caught up in.

Back