What's new
What's new

Teco N3 STEP2 Error

KevinJ

Plastic
Hi Folks!

Just got a Teco N3 installed on my clausing 5914. What a noise difference!! But now I have another issue!

So the drive will cut out at infrequent times with the error STP2 which is listed as the E Stop error. By the looks of things that error will also present itself when a parameter is hit in the programming, high frequency for instance.

I've raised the max freq, monitored the AMPS and Volts during the error condition and didn't see anything irregular. I suspect it's somehow related to torque. I also set one of the A params to not trip during run to no avail. Any of you all see this before?

Last edited:
Hi Folks!

Just got a Teco N3 installed on my clausing 5914. What a noise difference!! But now I have another issue!

So the drive will cut out at infrequent times with the error STEP2 which is listed as the E Stop error. By the looks of things that error will also present itself when a parameter is hit in the programming, high frequency for instance.

I've raised the max freq, monitored the AMPS and Volts during the error condition and didn't see anything irregular. I suspect it's somehow related to torque. I also set one of the A params to not trip during run to no avail. Any of you all see this before?
STEP2 or STP2? I don't see a STEP2 in the display readings.

STP2 is not really a "fault", it's more of an indicator telling you that you have hit the Stop button on the keypad when in Remote Control mode and you have enabled that Stop button to work all the time as a safety measure. it means "Stop 2". It does this because let's say you have a remote start/stop button and yet you are at the VFD keypad for some reason and hit the Stop button on the pad. It flashes STP2 to let you know that the REASON it stopped is because you hit THAT button as opposed to the remote Stop button. But because they assume you would only do this in an emergency, they then require that the external Run command is released before it allows you to re-start. So if your remote control is via a Start-Stop button, you will have to press that Stop button before pressing the Start button. If your remote control is from a relay, the relay contact will need to open before it can re-start.

I don't know where you came up with the other stuff about frequency ranges etc. Maybe you were reading something about the Step control function? That's totally different and has to do with the fact that the VFD can be programmed to run a re-set sequence of "steps" by which the drive automatically preforms a task that involves running up to a speed, then changing to another one after a set time, then another one etc. etc., up to 8 "steps". This is VERY uncommon and shouldn't be enabled unless you have a very detailed understanding of why you need it and what it means.

You got me there, the error is STP2 not step2. In this case I do not have a remote e-stop or anything remote wired in at all. I'm using the keypad with a cable kit. I spoke to Teco today and they have never seen this error before. I had assumed that the error could also be tripped by hitting some type limit set in the programming (High Freq, High AMPS, ect). The folks at Teco verified that the only time that error will appear is when the drive receives the stop command, as you already stated.

Understanding that, I set A0011 to 1 to disable the stop key (which still works on the key pad BTW) and it appears to have solved the issue.

Thanks for the reply and info!

...In this case I do not have a remote e-stop or anything remote wired in at all. I'm using the keypad with a cable kit. ...
Likely cause: bad connection or corrosion/dirt on the pin in the connector. Or by chance did you cobble together your own cable to make it longer? When my company brand labeled Teco drives and we tried that and that's what happened. The communication cable from the keypad to the drive is a parallel system, not serial, and one drawback to that is that parallel wiring can pick up noise much more easily, even with shielded cable. That's why any parallel connection usually has a distance limit. When you exceed the limit, you exponentially add risk of noise pick-up and the Stop command is particularly sensitive (on purpose). the N3 now has a 5m maximum length, better than before, but one thing you can't do, and they don't make that clear, is use two cables in a string, i.e. a 3m and a 2m.

So if you are only using the keypad and you disabled the Stop command on it, how are you stopping?

I just wired up my Colchester today with a Teco N3 and am getting the same error with the machine randomly shutting off with the same STP2 error. I ran the motor and the control wires for the apron switch together in the same conduit for about 3-5" (utilizing the existing wire runs) and am now wondering if that is the reason for the shut downs.

If so how far apart or what kind of shielding is needed between the control wires and the motor wires? I looked up the error and this thread is the top hit so I thought I'd just respond to keep the information together.

Thanks,

Gregor

I finally solved the problem I was having with the random shut offs. It wasn't related to the control wires but with the remote display I was using. I am using a Teco 2m extension and in my attempt to be neat I zip tied the cable with the DRO power cord, DRO scale cables and the work light. When I saw them all together it struck me as unlikely but I tried it anyway and sure enough that was the problem.

So the remote display cable is very sensitive to interference and needs to be by itself. Hopefully this helps someone down the road.

Gregor

I finally solved the problem I was having with the random shut offs. It wasn't related to the control wires but with the remote display I was using. I am using a Teco 2m extension and in my attempt to be neat I zip tied the cable with the DRO power cord, DRO scale cables and the work light. When I saw them all together it struck me as unlikely but I tried it anyway and sure enough that was the problem.

So the remote display cable is very sensitive to interference and needs to be by itself. Hopefully this helps someone down the road.

Gregor
Hence my comment in post #4:
The communication cable from the keypad to the drive is a parallel system, not serial, and one drawback to that is that parallel wiring can pick up noise much more easily, even with shielded cable.

I think your comment is what tipped me in that direction but elsewhere I'd heard that it was the control wires, not the remote display cable, that were susceptible and since I was using a factory cable I just looked toward the wiring that I put in.

Now I just need to do more research here to understand what other options the VFD can provide and how it can be set up. Very much looking forward to gaining a greater understanding of it's capabilities.

Thanks,

Gregor

Gregor

There's some real irony when you have a problem, search the internet for an answer and find one only to realize that it was you circa 2011 who is giving you the answer.

I just had to replace the Teco N3 drive I'd installed years ago. The lathe moved cross country to a new shop and had had a few issues with stopping the STP2 error but not too bad. I got a chip in the VFD that blew it up and replaced it and the new one was giving near constant STP2 errors - it was making me crazy.

I looked it up and found this thread and realized I probably did the same damn thing again in an effort to keep the wires neat. Sure enough I'd zip tired the remote display wire to the VFD display. I separated them and I'm happy to report it's working as it should.

What a weird thing. On several levels.

Gregor

Happens to me all the time. I'll have an issue or question, punch it into Google, and the answer comes up in a post I made somewhere 10 years ago. So why did I not know it now? It's scary sometimes...

Back