What's new
What's new

The effect of automation in Manufacturing in the world

I do not know the exact numbers of things yet it seems with the introduction of Automation in say farming or other business currently using a lot of human labor,it seems at first that the freed up labor is quickly put to work in another area where labor is needed. Like manual machines vs CNC there are times where these machines are still utilized and still have value.

It seems also that Automation has safety concerns with the automatic driving cars.One person was hit and killed by one here a while back. There is a learning situation when this kind of thing is used. Another thread discusses the 737 Max. The pilots fought the automation where it's sensors misread the actions of the aircraft.

Accidents per mile driven, self driving cars have a better record than humans. And will continue to do so.

That is a good point. It used to be a lot worse and if someone was driving crazy I could see they were on their cell. Now in this area tickets are issued unless people use hands off technology and so it is a bit safer. There are no automated cars here which I know of. I am kind of surprised I have not seen that in town. They are into all that.

As somewhat of a sw "geek" and automation guy ..

A lot of gut feel and reactions seem to expect automation results to affect US assembly and lower level manufacturing jobs.
I think this is a major mistake.
Indian and chinese factory managers speak excellent english these days.

4 and 5 axis turntables, and sw/controllers, will become dirt cheap consumables almost overnight.
Like PCs did.

Multi-stage production platforms run by sw will become dirt cheap almost overnight.
With automated loaders, etc.

Imo by about 2029, ten years from now, a basic vmc will have a 2-stage trunnion and an automatic loader/unloader, at the very least.
And finishing will be mostly in-machine done-in-one.

But..
It is not at all sure that US or EU machinists jobs will decrease significantly.
Most likely job pay will increase and job numbers will decrease somewhat.

That is a good point. It used to be a lot worse and if someone was driving crazy I could see they were on their cell. Now in this area tickets are issued unless people use hands off technology and so it is a bit safer. There are no automated cars here which I know of. I am kind of surprised I have not seen that in town. They are into all that.

We can't allow driver-less cars.
A slippery slope.
Then comes no-driver local delivery vans...... then long haul killing 3 million+ jobs.
All this bad for jobs as you view it but maybe good for the consumer and their quality of life.

Perhaps it would be better if CNC machine tools had never have been invented? That automation was devastating to so many.
Should we have stopped that and outlawed any import of such tech?
Bob

A slippery slope.
Then comes no-driver local delivery vans...... then long haul killing 3 million+ jobs.
All this bad for jobs as you view it but maybe good for the consumer and their quality of life.

Perhaps it would be better if CNC machine tools had never have been invented? That automation was devastating to so many.
Bob

Driverless and pilotless do concern me. CNC not so much. They are safer. The elimination of jobs is always a consideration. CNC basically increased manufactured goods for the world and automation likely can have that effect for a while also.

A slippery slope.

Bob

How does a no-driver delivery van actually deliver the package to the customer? I will say this, if I were a criminal I would target these no-driver delivery vans

I am a very late adapter to the cnc automation world. I have been in business 25 years and never owned or ran cnc. I have 13 fulltime employees and we had dedicated machines to produce our products. I resisted cnc till about 4 months ago. I bought a new lathe and mill. I payed a programmer to set up and program them and we operate them. It used to take 3 people running as hard and as fast as we could push our k and t mills to produce 100 parts in a single day. That was our record and we were truly running faster than we should and taking big risks. We set up the cnc mill to do this product, running it slow and not even trying to be efficient we produced 233 parts with one person pushing the button and doing other stuff. The parts are better and now they cost us a fraction. I can tell you what happened to all the workers they got replaced. The payment on the mill is no where near the cost of an employee. I was looking to hire more workers when a friend pulled be aside and smacked me.

I am a very late adapter to the cnc automation world. I have been in business 25 years and never owned or ran cnc. I have 13 fulltime employees and we had dedicated machines to produce our products. I resisted cnc till about 4 months ago. I bought a new lathe and mill. I payed a programmer to set up and program them and we operate them. It used to take 3 people running as hard and as fast as we could push our k and t mills to produce 100 parts in a single day. That was our record and we were truly running faster than we should and taking big risks. We set up the cnc mill to do this product, running it slow and not even trying to be efficient we produced 233 parts with one person pushing the button and doing other stuff. The parts are better and now they cost us a fraction. I can tell you what happened to all the workers they got replaced. The payment on the mill is no where near the cost of an employee. I was looking to hire more workers when a friend pulled be aside and smacked me.

I like your story and have always respected your efforts in the past using the manual machines. I also know it is the reality of CNC Machines and what they can do and bring to any shop. I see the difference clearly over many years and concluded years ago that this is a better way and that overall people in our trade will move to shops with a job open. Manufactured goods have increased overall because of CNC and it seems employment has been catching up to the increased demand. It also lowers pay for less skilled Machinists as the high skill level does not seem to be needed because of the reliability of CNC's. CNC's are here to stay. Yes and increased automation is coming and there is no doubt.

I am curious since you need less machines and employees is it a consideration to utilize your existing machines if you can find work for them or is it the case that the obvious path forward is to go CNC's? It seems that changing would be the best way.

What kind of CNC's did you decide on and have you gotten in both a mill and a lathe? This is exciting considering the great increase in quality and production plus the icing on the cake of reduction in operating costs.

I like your story and have always respected your efforts in the past using the manual machines. I also know it is the reality of CNC Machines and what they can do and bring to any shop. I see the difference clearly over many years and concluded years ago that this is a better way and that overall people in our trade will move to shops with a job open. Manufactured goods have increased overall because of CNC and it seems employment has been catching up to the increased demand. It also lowers pay for less skilled Machinists as the high skill level does not seem to be needed because of the reliability of CNC's. CNC's are here to stay. Yes and increased automation is coming and there is no doubt.

I would put a highly skilled person on my CNC vs a low skilled person. I want my machine to make good parts and not junk. I find it hard to train lazy and stupid on our machines, the seem to think just plop the stock in a vise or fixture and parts come out 15 minutes later. The nice thing about our CNCs are that 1 guy can maintain 2 or 3 machines at a time. We can put button one while the skilled are setting up the next machine.

Imagine making a fixture that holds a lot of parts and loading it at night when you close the shop only to come in the next day to have them all completed.

That is really a worthy thing running lights out so to speak. It takes a lot of tweeking to get that just right I bet.

I read one article which claimed that the pilot-less vehicles are the big wave for investors with a lot of money being invested into that.

I ran a whole months worth of parts in about 10 hours using these machines. They are running slowly so they dont make a bunch of mist and I dont have to listen to the noise. Even running slow they paid for themselves in a couple months. I could take on other work but there is no reason to deal with someone beating me up on price and breathing down my neck to finish their stuff. I used to be that guy, I got tired of begging to get work done by job shops.

Back