What's new
What's new

The official Magnetic Brake thread

It is true, there is never one perfect tool for every job, but every tool is perfect for at least one job!

I like the idea of the Mittler three piece brake, a true press brake would seem to be more useful but of course very costly unless you can get lucky. I have played with the original brake, they bought one for the Ga Tech shop and it is ok on 18 guage material and simple and safe for most students. I wasnt sure I would want one though, but seeing the capacity on this model I am thinking more about it.

Charles

Are there any optional accessories? In videos I see a full width hold down bar, a full width bar with slots as well as individual finger segments. Are all of these included?

Are there any optional accessories? In videos I see a full width hold down bar, a full width bar with slots as well as individual finger segments. Are all of these included?

Yes all "blue" tooling you see is included. Remember you can make your own tooling as well, anything a magnet will stick to can be used as a bending die, tube, pipe, angle iron......

Thought I would chime in. I've had one of these breaks for about a year now. Been awesome! I'll occasionally have an issue where the die will slide back or lift off the brake. I believe the first time was because the bend was too short and ended up digging into the painted part of the lifter arm so it stuck instead of bending. Second time I was probably exceeding the capacity of the break. Trying to do 1/8" thick x 18" wide. I've done 1/8" x 12" no problem at all. One time I noticed a crack on one of the hinges. Sent a picture to Baileigh and they sent me a replacement within a few weeks. No questions asked. And here's a picture of some large boxes I made. Sent to me CNC plasma cut out of 18ga steel, only two pieces per box, which saved me a ton of welding and avoided most of the warpage issues, as opposed to welded 5 pieces to make the open top box. Box size was 48"x36"x36". I don't think there's another break on the planet other than the magnetic brakes that could bend this large of a box without the walls of the box interfering with the frame of the press.

CAM00126.jpg

We make alot of guarding/dust collector hoods at work. We first had a very light duty 48" box and pan brake. Few years ago we got a baileigh 48" 12ga brake but had to keep the older brake around for tighter bends the baileigh wouldnt do. Ive been trying to get them to get a small press brake but after i saw this thing, theres stuff it will do that a press brake wouldn't dream of. I showed my boss and he was hooked. Its on the budget for this year, although its so cheap they need to just order it. Cant wait to get it!

We make alot of guarding/dust collector hoods at work. We first had a very light duty 48" box and pan brake. Few years ago we got a baileigh 48" 12ga brake but had to keep the older brake around for tighter bends the baileigh wouldnt do. Ive been trying to get them to get a small press brake but after i saw this thing, theres stuff it will do that a press brake wouldn't dream of. I showed my boss and he was hooked. Its on the budget for this year, although its so cheap they need to just order it. Cant wait to get one!

"Idiot" question here...

I have a 36" shear and a 36" Pexto finger brake that I inherited from my uncle. The shear (apart from not handling 48" stock) is great. The brake gets used regularly, but it doesn't do a lot of things I want to do - radiuses, deep boxes, etc. From the looks of things on fleaBay I can get a fair bit of cash for the Pexto finger brake, and it seems like the magnetic brakes - in theory - give a lot more flexibility.

I've never used one before. I'm wondering what the tradeoffs / relative plusses and minuses / considerations would be around selling the finger brake and replacing it with a magnetic one. I don't have space (or budget) for both.

The Baileigh 48" unit looks like it costs new about what the Pexto 36" sells for used, which makes me suspicious that there's something I'd be giving up...

Thanks!
-Ben

Pexto machines hold their value quite well as they are American made with some history to them. I personally have spent many hours at the business end of a pexto box and pan brake and have nothing but good things to say about them.........other than limitations regarding box depth and radius bending.

The magnetic brake has no limitations in box depth or radius bending.

Go to Instagram and search #magneticbrake we have hundreds of customers posting pics and videos daily of that machine and what it can do. Good advertising for us...

I just got my brake yesterday :) I wasn't expecting all the cautions about 220VAC +/-5%. Are you all running buck/boost transformers with your brakes?! I thought this would be plug & play. Am I just being paranoid about the voltage in my garage? I don't really want to drop another $300 :(

Yes, I'm running a buck/boost transformer for this one circuit. I was in the same situation as you are. I asked and Baileigh is very specific about the voltage. I bought the transformer from Amazon for about $100.

I don't know what Baileigh recommends, but I went with a Square D 250SV43B 250VA. When I hooked it up (following diagram #3), measured 242VAC in and 226VAC out. Seems to be working fine. They go for well less than $100 on eBay if you want to be cheap about it.

I just got my brake yesterday :) I wasn't expecting all the cautions about 220VAC +/-5%. Are you all running buck/boost transformers with your brakes?! I thought this would be plug & play. Am I just being paranoid about the voltage in my garage? I don't really want to drop another $300 :(

Staying in the +/- 5% is extremely important

I have an old Roper-Whitney Magnabend, 110v. Are finger sets for the comparable Baileigh magnetic brake available to purchase separately? I have the one-piece long bar but no fingers.

Regards,
Paul

Back