What's new
What's new

The Old Stockbridge Shaper... lives!

DocsMachine

Titanium
​Just heard- indirectly- from the new owner of my Stockbridge shaper, and was sent a short video of it actually running!

He fitted an external gearbox (a very common mod for old lineshaft machines back in the day) and an internal oiling system. We'd talked about ideas I had for the oiling, when he picked it up, and clearly he ran with 'em.

It's not completely finished yet, there's still some wiring to do as I understand it. But one of these days, I'll have to head up there and see it for myself, and take some hi-def video once it's done. See what kind of a chip that puppy can push off.

Very happy, personally, to see it even more complete and running. The lore I seem to recall from when I first got it, was it'd literally been salvaged in... I think the 70s. And of course I had it since 2008 or so, so this being the first it's ran in better then forty, maybe closer to fifty years, is not by any means out of the question.

Doc.​

RCPDesigns

Hot Rolled
Really cool to see it running! If you do head up there could you capture some video of the gearbox conversion? I'd like to get some more information on that as it looks to be a good solution for some of my line-shaft driven machines.

DocsMachine

Titanium
Yessir, I hope to get up there to see it in person come spring or so, and if/when I do, I'll definitely shoot more pics and video. This was just a quick smartphone vid a buddy shot for me.

It's not completely done yet, there's still electrical stuff to be done, as I understand it, and I can see the fellow hasn't recreated the downfeed ratchet parts yet either (hopefully he will) but yeah, considering by best guess the thing was originally made in 1905- a hundred and seventeen years ago- I'm very glad it's back up and running.

Doc.