What's new
What's new

The Ultimate Coolant Ring

Neil G

Plastic
Im about to venture into making the ultimate coolant ring and as I ponder such a thing, I thought Id throw it out to my machining peers as to what such a thing would be capable of- other than the obvious- supply coolant to the cutting tool and flush chips away form the cut zone.
I have 30 years on the tools and have my own preconceived ideas but I'd really like to hear from you.

I run a Haas VF5 with PCool option which ticks some boxes, but I feel it could be better. I do have thru coolant - air and coolant, I run a fog Buster- MQL. But theres still many occasions I starve the tool of coolant and require extra cuts, to achieve the required finish.

Sooo, hit me with it- If you could design the "Ultimate Coolant Ring" what would/could it do?

Now I do like a good coffee..
Thru coolant, good until the RPM comes up then it almost shields the cutter from getting coolant, unless drilling.

Im thinking 360 degree supply- no part of the cutter without coolant, how many nozzles is too many. Could it be a full cone of coolant?

Dad used to have a Mori Seiki MV-45 with a coolant ring from the factory. Worked great til my younger brother clogged it all up with chips.
However, I think that @usolutions has a good idea - 6 to 8 nozzles with independent shutoffs and aim-able spouts.

Although one programmable coolant nozzle does about everything a person could ask for, two programmable nozzles fills in all the blanks. Expensive option yes, and not reachable by some, but it fits the "Ultimate" bill perfectly, and makes a ring, well... just a ring. Which fills in the blanks of you generally "get what you pay for."

Ehhhh...

Fewer nozzles, more flow. As many gallons or liters per minute as you can push!

Just hope that you can get the same flow back to the tank in time before you starve the pump. All while separating the chips out efficiently. Additional tank capacity required.

Now I do like a good coffee..
Thru coolant, good until the RPM comes up then it almost shields the cutter from getting coolant, unless drilling.

Im thinking 360 degree supply- no part of the cutter without coolant, how many nozzles is too many. Could it be a full cone of coolant?
Not sure if all VF's have the spare M codes capability but we set up a cell of VF-2's a long time ago with custom M code controlled air blast. Actually Productivity Inc did for us, according to what we wanted. I edited our NX posts for the new M code and was very happy with the results. Not sure if the custom M code can be set up by shops, perhaps someone can chime in on this.

You should be able to do the same thing with coolant, albeit you might need to set up an electro controlled valve in the coolant circuit. Design yourself a custom coolant manifold to your liking, with hard nozzles or loc line, supplied by its own coolant line and set up another M code to control it. If you need help, do you have a competent dealer near you?

My older Hardinge mills (2000-2004) have some nice rings on them.

Like above - the 5-8 sounds right, but NOT with shut-offs!
Point them at a few different heights and flood the piss out of it.
Not only will it help cool and lube the cutter, but with the many jets, it flushes chips well.

These have coolant balls in the ring, so no hoses to get knocked around.

I like'm....

-----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

Ehhhh...

Fewer nozzles, more flow. As many gallons or liters per minute as you can push!

Just hope that you can get the same flow back to the tank in time before you starve the pump. All while separating the chips out efficiently. Additional tank capacity required.
I'd like to disagree. More nozzles, bigger nozzles all the pump you can get.

Like above - the 5-8 sounds right, but NOT with shut-offs!
Point them at a few different heights and flood the piss out of it.
I have such setup in my Matsuura. I have been cutting steel hard and hot, but with coolant, never had issues with thermal shock. At least so far.

I have a 1hp Grundfos that pumps 35gpm @ 160 psi with a max of 170. It set the bar for me as to what is possible for a coolant pump. I too say 6-8 ball nozzles and a good pump. With the right pump how many nozzles won't be a big consideration, the pump is the main solution to getting coolant to the tool and washing the chips away.

Boy - that sounds like an awfull lot of pressure for such an app?

Here is a pump that I picked up off e-bay a while back - with plans of using it as a booster pump for a lathe, but when I opened it up, boy - that sure looks like the pumps that are on those mills?

Can't verify any of the numbers as the pumps are mounted on the mills with the nameplate to the inside, but - yeah, I think they are the same, and these seem to doo fine for me. But I don't find a HP rating on the tag. I'm sure that someone can convert the V/A to HP, but I'd hafta research that to be sure.

Better to have more than needed as not enough tho...

DSCN3566.JPG

DSCN3567.jpg

---------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

I was only kidding about 1. But would suggest if you actually had a single firehose size flow stream pointing down from near the spindle, you WILL get it all. A wall or indexer might cut flow but imagine a 2" diameter spray of water going down at 80 degrees at a toolholder.

But sure, put 8 around. I'm just suggesting that if you have sufficient volume coming out of a few nozzles, you don't need to aim them particularly well and you don't particularly need a lot of them.

The closer you can get them to the spindle, the better. A steeper ("straighter down") angle flowing downward, with wide stream of coolant, will allow a single nozzle to take care of more height. The other couple nozzles spraying the same amount will be flushing and splashing all around too.

But if you really want 8 or 10 smaller piss streams around at different angles to get different heights, you can achieve the same thing.

I guess "bigger, more flow" isn't what the OP asked for.

Back