What's new
What's new

The Ultimate Coolant Ring

I would caution "oversizing" your coolant pump.

The more pump (pressure) you have, the more heat that you build up in your coolant.

There are a few times when pressure is your friend, but that is typically only when through-the-spindle.
High volume, but not really much pressure will keep your tool covered and chips flushed w/o building heat.

-------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

Then toolholder size is a problem, I run shell mills on aluminium with coolant. I have that clunky hydraulic that is UFO shaped. It will be soaked, but cutting tool will not.

Then toolholder size is a problem, I run shell mills on aluminium with coolant. I have that clunky hydraulic that is UFO shaped. It will be soaked, but cutting tool will not.

"Then"

What is that in response to?

Most face mills are set up well for TSC now-days.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

OK, but what does "then" point to?

What are you saying is more better? (for your app)

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

OK, but what does "then" point to?

What are you saying is more better? (for your app)

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
From my point of view, from both external data and personal experience:
1) Volume is king, more is better
2) More nozzles will limit situations when something is obstructing the jet
3) Everything is good in moderation. 16 nozzles is stupid.
4) Having dedicated air blast nozzles on additional Mcode is good
5) Through spindle is great when possible. Both TSC and TSA if your machine can do it.
6) Too much pump for sump capacity is bad, because your coolant wont have enough time to circulate back to pumps. Mine is 400L, and if I run all 3 pumps they start gobbling air.
7) Have adequate swarf separation, buildup of chips in pumps or coolant passages is bad, clearing those is PITA. And also degrades coolant flow and performance

So far I am only lacking any automated air blast capability on my machine, but so far so good, I had not have a job that required it without alternatives.

"Then" was response to "this"
I was only kidding about 1. But would suggest if you actually had a single firehose size flow stream pointing down from near the spindle, you WILL get it all. A wall or indexer might cut flow but imagine a 2" diameter spray of water going down at 80 degrees at a toolholder

Actually, on my Hardinge mills, the "ring" is part of the spindle cartridge.
And so the bearings are actually cooled with the coolant running through that cavity.
Same as your engine coolant.

DSCN3570.JPG

And the Cinci Horizontal has the coolant ports just outside of the spindle insert.
Those are not balls even, they are just drilled in on the angle and called good.
Coolant was never an issue on that machine either.

DSCN3571.JPG

-----------------

And so the bearings are actually cooled with the coolant running through that cavity.

View attachment 436602

And the Cinci Horizontal has the coolant ports just outside of the spindle insert.
Those are not balls even, they are just drilled in on the angle and called good.

View attachment 436603

-----------------

I am happy to see I am not the only one that has some rust or dried coolant spots on their vises and machines. All the super pretty shops and super clean machines from the Youtube machinist always has me feeling down on myself.

Well, those vises are 20 yrs old, and we don't run the mills often at all.

And that Cinci is setting out in the snowbank currently.

-------------------

Well, those vises are 20 yrs old, and we don't run the mills often at all.

And that Cinci is setting out in the snowbank currently.

-------------------

Yeah, I have some 15 year old vises in use. They work. Just not super shiny and pretty.

Im about to venture into making the ultimate coolant ring and as I ponder such a thing, I thought Id throw it out to my machining peers as to what such a thing would be capable of- other than the obvious- supply coolant to the cutting tool and flush chips away form the cut zone.
I have 30 years on the tools and have my own preconceived ideas but I'd really like to hear from you.

I run a Haas VF5 with PCool option which ticks some boxes, but I feel it could be better. I do have thru coolant - air and coolant, I run a fog Buster- MQL. But theres still many occasions I starve the tool of coolant and require extra cuts, to achieve the required finish.

Sooo, hit me with it- If you could design the "Ultimate Coolant Ring" what would/could it do?
If you have tsc, how are you starving the tool of coolant?

View attachment 436602

View attachment 436603

-----------------

I'm just happy to see that I'm not the only guy on the planet whose vises/tables/etc aren't museum clean.

Maximum flow, and as much around the cutter as possible, from the steepest angle possible, seems to be the consensus.
Some variability in stream angle would be useful.
Should it flow air thru the same nozzles, for the dry cutting materials?

If you have tsc, how are you starving the tool of coolant?
Mostly finishing when side milling around a tall project, coolant covers a good range, but we still end up recutting some chips.
The umbrellor effect when using TSC often shields the cutter from coolant- I run a standard pressure TSC Pump. Do the 1000PSI units have this problem?
Even ali milling with a thru coolant shell mill doesn't always flush away fast chip buildup in tight areas.

It great to hear everyones thoughts

I have a 1hp Grundfos that pumps 35gpm @ 160 psi with a max of 170. It set the bar for me as to what is possible for a coolant pump. I too say 6-8 ball nozzles and a good pump. With the right pump how many nozzles won't be a big consideration, the pump is the main solution to getting coolant to the tool and washing the chips away.
Does anyone here have a newer haas with the twin stage coolant pressure system, it would be interesting to hear how well that functions..

Although one programmable coolant nozzle does about everything a person could ask for, two programmable nozzles fills in all the blanks. Expensive option yes, and not reachable by some, but it fits the "Ultimate" bill perfectly, and makes a ring, well... just a ring. Which fills in the blanks of you generally "get what you pay for."
Do you run a pair of programmable units- Spidercool/Hirt/Accublast?

Not sure if all VF's have the spare M codes capability but we set up a cell of VF-2's a long time ago with custom M code controlled air blast. Actually Productivity Inc did for us, according to what we wanted. I edited our NX posts for the new M code and was very happy with the results. Not sure if the custom M code can be set up by shops, perhaps someone can chime in on this.

You should be able to do the same thing with coolant, albeit you might need to set up an electro controlled valve in the coolant circuit. Design yourself a custom coolant manifold to your liking, with hard nozzles or loc line, supplied by its own coolant line and set up another M code to control it. If you need help, do you have a competent dealer near you?
Yes Haas come with 8 M code relays as standard- extra Relays for more $$$ if needed. I use these for my MQL-airblast and opening /closing my air vise.
Very easy to setup inhouse. M53-ON M63-Off etc.

What size is the spindle casing on your CM1. Do you run a P Cool instead?
You can download a full model from the Haas website. No, I don't use P-Cool, since the unit is so large and it gets in the way when using a trunnion. I'm using Loc-Line with a vertically oriented spreader nozzle; it throws a wall of coolant, covering tools of any length.

Back