What's new
What's new

The Ultimate Coolant Ring

Mostly finishing when side milling around a tall project, coolant covers a good range, but we still end up recutting some chips.
The umbrellor effect when using TSC often shields the cutter from coolant- I run a standard pressure TSC Pump. Do the 1000PSI units have this problem?
Even ali milling with a thru coolant shell mill doesn't always flush away fast chip buildup in tight areas.

It great to hear everyones thoughts
That’s fair I suppose.
I run the standard pump as well. The 1000psi will make more pressure but will not flow as much volume of coolant.
It is very possible that your restricting flow on your standard tsc pump/application,
A tool or holder with larger channels will allow for the same or near same pressure with a greater flow. You can always run tag and standard coolant at the same time as well. I’d a recon that the standard 300psi tsc pump on the haas flows more gpm than the standard coolant pump.

As for a ring, back in my coolant ring dreaming days I thought it would be cool to have a rung that traversed up/down and/or pivoted all the nozzles. Like a p-cool but a 8 nozzle ring. Surrounding the spindle.

Do you run a pair of programmable units- Spidercool/Hirt/Accublast?
Yes... a pair of Spider Cool. I also commandeered the unneeded Oil Hole Drill valve so I could select one or two nozzles with M Code. M8 for one and M50 for two. Hardly ever need the 2nd nozzle. I don't like blasting coolant around when not needed, as it creates excess mist and that mist finds it's way into every part of the machine whether you want it to or not. This is on a Mori Seiki SV50. The Loc-Line valve is M7 air and there's a quick connect for hooking up a wash down hose.

Mori Prog Coolant .jpgOIL HOLE DRILL M50.jpg

Thanks for the
Yes... a pair of Spider Cool. I also commandeered the unneeded Oil Hole Drill valve so I could select one or two nozzles with M Code. M8 for one and M50 for two. Hardly ever need the 2nd nozzle. I don't like blasting coolant around when not needed, as it creates excess mist and that mist finds it's way into every part of the machine whether you want it to or not. This is on a Mori Seiki SV50. The Loc-Line valve is M7 air and there's a quick connect for hooking up a wash down hose.

View attachment 436693View attachment 436694
Damn, thats quite the setup. The spidercool setup looks good.

Best thing I added to my 4-axis VMC was two Spider-Cool programable nozzles. I run about 60 to 70 psi coolant with plenty of volume to blast any chips out of the cutter's path. spidercool nozzles.jpg

I have been considering the Accublast for my older TM-1 without nextGen. The OP is thinking of making his own system but honestly, when you consider what your time is worth, is it worth it when a proven system is fairly reasonable? If anybody has one, your thoughts or experience is appreciated. If you don't have one, what do you think?

I have been considering the Accublast for my older TM-1 without nextGen. The OP is thinking of making his own system but honestly, when you consider what your time is worth, is it worth it when a proven system is fairly reasonable? If anybody has one, your thoughts or experience is appreciated. If you don't have one, what do you think?
I'm getting pretty close to being able to show what I've developed. Some of the ideas shared here run parallel to what Ive come up with.
Very excited to be able to share it soon.

I made one for our VF4 and it worked well. Had I think 8 NPT tapped holes underneath that I threaded Locline adapters into to keep it simple. Each of those had a valve to allow individual pressure control. Plus you can alternate nozzle size, style and hose length.

Also had some pipe taps coming out the sides to be able to clear fixturing or the 4th axis. 4th axis bodies really get in the way of coolant jets from the right side, having the ring fixes that.

Back