What's new
What's new

The US sanctions impacting the Chinese chip industry

Those usually end with the purchased business taking an instant nose dive straight to the ground. Note that these stories do also involve large, typically publicly traded corporations
Usually, but not always Pete.

There are examples of companies that are very profitable and good investments out there.

There are also many ETFs and Mutual fund style investments that only deal in the type of company YOU want to invest in. A quick call to your investment dude/dudett can yield a surprising result, if you're willing to listen.

Not all publicly traded companies are a POS to be avoided. Many are trying to be good citizen healthy corporations.

A little research goes a long way.

Usually, but not always Pete.

There are examples of companies that are very profitable and good investments out there.

There are also many ETFs and Mutual fund style investments that only deal in the type of company YOU want to invest in. A quick call to your investment dude/dudett can yield a surprising result, if you're willing to listen.

Not all publicly traded companies are a POS to be avoided. Many are trying to be good citizen healthy corporations.

A little research goes a long way.

I don't think I said all publicly traded corporations were bad, and didn't necessarily mean to imply it. What I did say and will stand by is that almost all the worst short-sighted nonsense DOES happen in such entities, especially the larger ones.

Good example right now ....I have about $100k stocks in a small bank .....anyhoo,the rock solid enterprise has always paid good dividends,but the stock price has been going down at least since 2008........I was willed about half my holding,and have paid for subsequent issues .........when my mothers estate was settled,the stocks were around $17,they are now around $7......and personally ,I dont see any upside ......anyhoo ,just t'other day CEO was fired , probably due to the stock price..... the once staid bankers have seemingly entered into all kinds of stock swaps,takeovers ,new business models etc ,etc.........and IMHO ,the board /CEO etc are now chasing short term performance bonuses over solid business practice.....disaster awaits.

when my mothers estate was settled,the stocks were around $17,they are now around $7.
Get out now while the gettin is good.
Now, you're only down 65% or so, don't ride that horse in the stall. Dump it for something better.

We bought Sprint in their hay day, mostly because the wife worked there. It tanked and we got out on the way down and bought Apple. Never looked back.

Good luck with your investments.

I think the sanctions just give power and pocket money to the politicians.
When business takes care of business we and the world are much better off.

Few political bobbleheads know enough about business to have a say except to make pocket money at USA workers and taxpayers expense

I think the sanctions just give power and pocket money to the politicians.
When business takes care of business we and the world are much better off.

Few political bobbleheads know enough about business to have a say except to make pocket money at USA workers and taxpayers expense
This is one of the main bugaboos that I have with the politicos these days. The whole insider trading thingy. (and it isn't pocket change!)

I don't know what the answer is, except to mandate a total open disclosure of ALL monetary transactions, by ALL close family relations and friends.

To realize that many congress critters, no matter what "side" they're representing, leave congress multi-millionaires, all while making a pittance for their service, frosts me to no end.

I feel like the only answer is to institute the UCMJ to anyone who can vote the military into war. (even though they hardly ever put their name to a wartime vote) This effectively makes them the bosses of the generals of the JCS.

And YES, that includes the POTUS, and his/her team.

QT : (I don't know what the answer is, except to mandate a total open disclosure of ALL monetary transactions, by ALL close family relations and friends.)

Paying government people high pay so they would not become corrupt didn't work. We should make their pay the USA average, about $60K, and make it a high crime if they cheat, take side money, or future paybacks, for double payback and a year in jail for every thousand they cheat.
Then we would get already successful leaders to run our country who take the position for the good of the country and our people.

The new FBI agents should watch political top shots ..and see/bust the ones who spend more money than they make.
But they won't. They will bust the working guy who forgets to list the couple hundred hi made on dividends.

The new FBI agents should watch political top shots ..and see/bust the ones who spend more money than they make.
The FBI arrests folks who break the law. (theoretically) When they're not busy scrubbing facebook and twitter of "certain ideas".

Insider trading laws don't apply to elected officials, by congressional edict.

Who I want have scrutinized are the folks that accept "donations" from Chinese "companies".

All companies in China are subject to government oversight. ALL OF THEM.

We know they make donations to political campaigns thru shell companies. I want to know which ones and how much. EXACTLY.

The Tik Tok thing is a good start, but why only certain states? Just recently the feds banned it from all government devices, but it's too late. I'm afraid it's baked into the cake at this point.

Back