What's new
What's new

THE vise from the grandfather

Those big vises were never made with really close tolerances. So all you should need to do is clean it.

Yes, some vises were made with close tolerances, but nit that style. It is not a problem, they grip a part very well.

Welcome, Viktor.

If your main goal is to set up a small home shop that will not only serve to carry out household projects but will also call to mind memories of your grandfather for you and your mother, that is an admirable sentiment. I wish you well in carrying out your aim. Since your grandfather sounds as though he was a serious machinist with many skills, it may be that he did not put a lot of emphasis on restoring tools, although he would probably have been careful to maintain his tools in good working condition. That would be a good guideline for you to follow. Do clean his tools, lubricate them, and ensure that they are in good working order appropriate to the period during which he used them. From your original post, it sounds as though that is what you are going to do. Perhaps at a later time you can carry out the research and other tasks that would be required for a full and accurate restoration of each tool to original condition.
-Marty-

Viktor: Welcome to the forum and my compliments on preserving your Grandfather's tools. One question, when you said there was some 'play", did you mean that by grabbing the outer jaw and shaking up and down or did you mean by pushing in and pulling out on the outer jaw? If the "in and out", sometimes vises had a separate nut for the screw. If this is it, possibly a new nut could be made. If the threads are built into the casting, possibly a new screw could be fabricated. Good luck.

JH

Bienvenida a Viktor, hablo español, si lo prefiere envíeme un mensaje personal.

(for the masses):D "welcome Viktor, I speak Spanish if you prefer send me a personal message."

Robert

Back