What's new
What's new

Thermite

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few PM'ers complaining about moderation and bannings in this thread. I'm going to suggest that some of them may be part of the problem. Maybe some of them may need to go away... or be thrown away. Something to think about.

I'm in agreement w/ @PDW in his post (above) that a cleanup is overdue.

I wonder what the viewership numbers were 7-8 years ago vs the present day? Changes are happening because this board got toxic, and viewership numbers have been falling. At least that's my take.

I'm going to guess that's the reason why management here is attempting a turn-around. For the better.

Last edited:
Have you had a chance to watch this one yet? I started it yesterday...
I haven't, will take as look when I get a mo (y)
Cheers D

Like him or not (I did), Thermite was one of the best writers on the board. I'll miss his posts, hope he comes back. And yeah, this has happened before, about 5 years ago.

EG, too.

Didn't see the tiff that resulted in the banning(s), but the last thing I want to read is another over-moderated board that reads like the Home Shop Machinist. No one writes like those two.

You'd need to get 4 more in less than 30 days. Having interacted with you a fair amount and read plenty of your posts, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that you're likely to get enough to get even a temp ban. The hullabaloo over the warnings thing is way overblown, I think.
I got one warning for content a while back and guess what, ...................... I heeded it and made sure not to repeat the mistake. I'll gladly listen to all viewpoints, but I have no use for those who constantly spew insults or inject partisan politics ("those R**********s hate kids" or "those D*******s are all evil") into every thread imaginable. In a couple of cases they even got into it with a moderator, hurling vile insults that were tolerated more than most of us would have.

Basically if you get a 30 day ban and come back pulling the same crap over and over you're proving you are not adult enough to participate in discussions on this board. And in such cases GOOD RIDDANCE!

And I still think all the handwringing over warnings is much ado about nothing. Look at all the ridiculous over the top stuff that happened in just this one thread and there were only a handful of warnings given, and most of those were over the same virulent political stuff that gets all the warnings in the other board section - and to the same guys. (Not referring to you moonlight).

It's always different when you're in charge, the bent to enlightened anarchy- 'we'll all just merrily go skipping along'- rather goes away.
Start your own forum- seriously- zero snark and see how it goes.
I did a PHPBB board on another subject years ago. If I can, you can.
You'll get saboteurs that no one else really sees, rummies posting, and frivolous claims of copyright infringement to your host.

But, do you need moderation for 'Offensive' posters?
Members can just hit 'Ignore,' so, no.
Gab works, there's no moderation unless you threaten to off someone

Good that a moderator does not have a T or B preferancce and treats all T and B posts with about the same attitde.

I remember when someone started criticising Therm, I never saw a Therm post that got my goat. Yes, he used the letters WTF but I am not so thin skin that such would bother me.

Last edited:
Good that a moderator does not have a T or B preferancce and treats all T and B posts with about the same attitde.

I remember when someone started critisimg Therm, I never saw a Therm post that got my goat. Yes, he used the letters WTF but I am not sothin skin that that would bother me.

I've seen a few from him that were pretty bad - mostly when he had the constant back and forth with donie. He seemed to shift gears a little mentally after that went on for a while and nobody stepped in to put a stop to it. After that he was a little harsher with a lot of, umm, let's just say:"low-grade" questions.

In a lot of situations ( like restaurants) no one says anything, they just quit going.
I had a talk with the manager of a golf course about losing customers. Told him that I thought I knew him well enough to tell him.
He got aggravated at first, then a few weeks later told me he appreciated it.
Their normal membership was 300 people.
I told him that 60 + dropped because of how they were handling things.

Even named certain people that hadn't been there in almost 2 years.
Walk-ins had dropped, too.
Some people won't say anything, they just quit going, and let that speak.

Same with anything.

People start disappearing, there is a reason

Glad you've been rehabilitated Scotty!
Who is banned that is constantly spewing RvD/DvR bile that you mention?
EG (moderator asked him to stay here)
Thermite (moderators asked him to stay here)
Me from only the one forum - but I despise both sides because they're equally to blame (moderators have asked me to stay here)
???

Big B is out for 30 days. Don't know about anyone else offhand.

I've seen a few from him that were pretty bad - mostly when he had the constant back and forth with donie. He seemed to shift gears a little mentally after that went on for a while and nobody stepped in to put a stop to it. After that he was a little harsher with a lot of, umm, let's just say:"low-grade" questions.

Without a dought Donie was somewhat 'challenged', Thermite would play with Donie like a Cat plays with a Mouse. Watching the mouse squirm before the inevitable end.

I think every time Donie posted he thought "ok I've got Thermite on the ropes now" only to be floored by a Thermite uppercut. And like many a punchdrunk boxer he came back for more.

Without a dought Donie was somewhat 'challenged', Thermite would play with Donie like a Cat plays with a Mouse. Watching the mouse squirm before the inevitable end.

I think every time Donie posted he thought "ok I've got Thermite on the ropes now" only to be floored by a Thermite uppercut. And like many a punchdrunk boxer he came back for more.

That's true, but it definitely went a bit overboard (understatement) with both of them. It ought to have been stopped. It was sort of like watching a slow-mo train wreck.

Did donie get the ban-hammer?

I don't believe so currently, but I sure would've for this tirade:

He got 90 days for that apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back