What's new
What's new

Thought provoking video regarding automakers worldwide

Well, mostly I agree with the issue being constitutionally problematic, however, There has never been a size or population limit in the constitution for statehood. DC has more people than Wyoming and Vermont and is within 10 percent of Alaska and North Dakota.
Representation is about people, not land mass. If it was Alaska would have more representation than any other state.
Not correct. The Constitution put limits on any 100 square mile region that becomes the seat of government including direct legislative control by Congress. Yes, they have a mayor, police force etc. but all can be called for Congressional review at any time.

As this 2016 TIME article explains, James Madison explained in Federalist 43 the reasons why the seat of the government could never become a state for fears that "a dependence of the members of the general government on the State comprehending the seat of the government, for protection in the exercise of their duty, might bring on the national councils an imputation of awe or influence, equally dishonorable to the government and dissatisfactory to the other members of the Confederacy.”

DC cannot become a state without amending the Constitution. Any bills claiming to create statehood are just meaningless political theater.

Hey Thanks Guys!

THANKS! for letting this topic regarding electric cars devolve into this shit here^^^^^^^^^^

THANKS! for all the restraint you show in keeping your political feeling to yourselves.

THANKS for figuring out how to bring up D.C. statehood into an electric car thread.

Moderator:
Please close this shit show.
Tik Tok on Twatter can't be good for anyone here.

Hey Thanks Guys!

THANKS! for letting this topic regarding electric cars devolve into this shit here^^^^^^^^^^

THANKS! for all the restraint you show in keeping your political feeling to yourselves.

THANKS for figuring out how to bring up D.C. statehood into an electric car thread.

Moderator:
Please close this shit show.
Tik Tok on Twatter can't be good for anyone here.

Electric cars was a deviation of topic itself. It was supposed to be about quality control and business practices based on the first post.

Electric cars was a deviation of topic itself. It was supposed to be about quality control and business practices based on the first post.
Which was a normal extrapolation of the first post.

But thanks for trying to defend the stupid nature of where we ended up.

But, By all means......keep it up!

Not correct. The Constitution put limits on any 100 square mile region that becomes the seat of government including direct legislative control by Congress. Yes, they have a mayor, police force etc. but all can be called for Congressional review at any time.

As this 2016 TIME article explains, James Madison explained in Federalist 43 the reasons why the seat of the government could never become a state for fears that "a dependence of the members of the general government on the State comprehending the seat of the government, for protection in the exercise of their duty, might bring on the national councils an imputation of awe or influence, equally dishonorable to the government and dissatisfactory to the other members of the Confederacy.”

DC cannot become a state without amending the Constitution. Any bills claiming to create statehood are just meaningless political theater.

That is not a response to what I posted

In post #1 this question was posed: Will the American auto industry be able to adapt?

This might be a bit of a leap but if it involves EV battery production and securing the raw materials to produce the batteries there may be a problem. Lithium---or at least a problem mining/sourcing lithium in the U.S.:

If you do a google search 'lithium mine threatened' it lists line after line a reasons why lithium mining is bad which no doubt it is.

So likely the only answer is to depend on other countries to supply materials that are needed. (It appears China controls a high percentage of the world's lithium) Where does that leave U.S. auto manufacturing in their plans to switch to EV production?

If you do a google search 'lithium mine threatened' it lists line after line a reasons why lithium mining is bad which no doubt it is.

So likely the only answer is to depend on other countries to supply materials that are needed. (It appears China controls a high percentage of the world's lithium) Where does that leave U.S. auto manufacturing in their plans to switch to EV production?

Well, If you're in bed with the chicoms, the answer is easy.

But if you want to actually do the diligence, you could FIND YOUR OWN SHIT.

There's PLENTY of rare earths available if you're willing to work for them.

But, there's a majority of companies, and agencies that are in bed with Chairman Xi, that can not discourage his influence.

In post #1 this question was posed: Will the American auto industry be able to adapt?

This might be a bit of a leap but if it involves EV battery production and securing the raw materials to produce the batteries there may be a problem. Lithium---or at least a problem mining/sourcing lithium in the U.S.:

Addition to a U.S. supply of lithium (and other strategic rare earth minerals).
It appears investment is being made in providing for a supply of lithium. Read thru the statement (link below)

Addition to a U.S. supply of lithium (and other strategic rare earth minerals).
It appears investment is being made in providing for a supply of lithium. Came across this with search about lithium from sea water/brine. Read thru the statement (link below)

According to the finance papers ,processing lithium to battery grade requires 13 steps using various highly toxic materials and waste products...........there is plenty of lithium ore here.......what s mined is shipped to a third world country for processing ......cant be processes here due to the greens......and now the greens have stopped the exporting to third world countries..........did I mention China finances the greens?

For a while when Detroit started losing market share to Japanese brands they started using some of the same quality procedures BUT ..... having the typical short sighted management some of them again let quality slip.

We see a lot of Chrysler/Jeep products around here but for the most part high end Japanese and some European.

One thing I learned quite a while ago though is that with Japanese vehicles OEM parts are usually a better choice than aftermarket.

We see a lot of Chrysler/Jeep products around here but for the most part high end Japanese and some European.

As a person who grew up near Toledo, I have many folks that work/have worked for the Jeep corporation over the years.
The downfall began when AMF took them over, and has never gained ground since. Very sad to watch.

The culture was/is always adversarial, at best, and downright confrontational at worst.

Now, the Italians have the reigns, so what could go wrong?

As stated early in this thread, Fit and finish, and build quality would do so much for this brand, but they choose to push quantity over quality.

Look at the "Gladiator".
Good looking truck from fifty paces, but get up close and look at the gaps, the plastic, the trim, and those stupid tail lights that came from a farm and home trailer department.

You get all this for $38,000.00

One thing I learned quite a while ago though is that with Japanese vehicles OEM parts are usually a better choice than aftermarket.
Ideally, if you know the factory that produces the original part. you can buy the original part cheaper, simply because it will have a different logo. sometimes the same part can be on expensive models and cheap ones, the difference in price is impressive in the end

All my life my grandfather drove Cadillacs. He bought any parts from the Buick dealer since they were the same parts, made in the same gm factory, but cost less.
Bill D

Back in '72 I worked at a British Leyland dealership that sold Minis etc. One day the Chief Exec's son came in a BRAND NEW TOYOTA COROLLA! We all had a good look and drooled over the fine machine work, chrome, gadgets.
I said: 'We are in trouble'. Other workers said 'Too flashy, Toyotas won't sell!'
My friend drives a 1998 Toyota Yaris with auto box and at 200,000 miles starts, runs perfect and only work it needed for annual test was a rusted fuel tank and a worn suspension bush.
I've since worked in many industries and have to say that I wouldn't employ 50% of bosses and colleagues as they are idle, stupid, shiftless...

Back