What's new
What's new

Thoughts on buying an otherwise unobtainium electronic module (ECU) via Alibaba ?

Milacron

Super Moderator
This for a 2012 year forklift (Hyundai 70D) and Hyundai no longer supports engine parts for this model. None in stock even in Korea. Flight Systems can't repair it. Some indications of availability via Alibaba dealers (in China and Spain)... but the source links are not very assuring.... like for example...

Hyundai part 39100-45800 (Denso is manufacturer)

https://raymardiesel.en.alibaba.com/product/60071629351-800464929/DENSO_ECU_275800_4232_for_HYUNDAI_39100_45800.html

"megadeth" trading ?? I emailed one source (in Spain of all crazy places) and asked why they don't have a website.... gawd...:ill: And even if I got it, whose to say it actually works ? But getting desperate...

BillE

That engine appears to be used in various commercial vehicles beyond forklifts, maybe some possibilities of sourcing from a truck/bus wrecker?

No idea about that seller, alibaba prices never seem to align with their headline rate however.....

EmanuelGoldstein

No idea about that seller, alibaba prices never seem to align with their headline rate however.....
Alibaba sucks, but if the seller will take zhifubao and you save all the correspondence where they promise it will work, zhifubao will return your money if they cheat you. Zhifubao is an escrow service but really common and pretty reliable.

Trouble is, shipping these days is so slow you'd probably go past the time limit. I think it's 30 days ?

Milacron

Super Moderator
Damn that thing is pricey:
Price from Hyundai, when it was available, was $4000 ! Cheapest price via Alibaba was around 800 bucks but in Spain with iffy sounding dealer. Big Tiger on Amazon looks promising...presume there would be some warranty protection that way.

Bill D

I did not know alibabba had used stuff for sale. I will have to check it out. I thought alibabba was full pallets of one item?
I bought a few,new, cheap things from aliexpress. Those transactions came fast.
Bill D

[email protected]

Scary to think a part for a forklift is selling for what one can buy an older forklift for. My propane Hyster
is looking better all the time, with it's fifty dollar propane parts, readily available.

The electronic boards being used in newer machines are going to cause many to be scrapped. My SIX year old miller welder has
a TWO THOUSAND dollar main board, that is no longer supplied. Stunning to think that manufacturers just pull the plug on
products that aren't even ten years old. Oh, your machine is OBSOLETE! I hate that.

crickets

Price from Hyundai, when it was available, was $4000 ! Cheapest price via Alibaba was around 800 bucks but in Spain with iffy sounding dealer. Big Tiger on Amazon looks promising...presume there would be some warranty protection that way.

The fact it's being sold on Amazon doesn't mean it's not coming from China :) Amazon is a marketplace just like AliExpress or Ebay, sellers can be anywhere.

EmanuelGoldstein

Scary to think a part for a forklift is selling for what one can buy an older forklift for. My propane Hyster is looking better all the time, with it's fifty dollar propane parts, readily available.

The electronic boards being used in newer machines are going to cause many to be scrapped. My SIX year old miller welder has a TWO THOUSAND dollar main board, that is no longer supplied. Stunning to think that manufacturers just pull the plug on products that aren't even ten years old. Oh, your machine is OBSOLETE! I hate that.
There was a thread on repair shops, where some people did not seem to understand this. Electronics are unreliable and in most cases, unrepairable. With everything on the planet going electronic, that's going to be the end of most repair work in the future, too.

L Vanice

The fact it's being sold on Amazon doesn't mean it's not coming from China :) Amazon is a marketplace just like AliExpress or Ebay, sellers can be anywhere.

Amazon lists the seller as "carfediem" and this is their info, showing they are in Korea:
Ships from carfediem

carfediem

Professional Hyundai Kia GM OEM parts supplier since 2015We are committed to providing each customer with the highest standard of customer service.
All wholesale offers are welcomed.
ONBUY , DEAN
Detailed Seller Information

• Business Name: HAHYEKYEONG
  • Business Address:
    • 11-23, Jukjeon-ro 43beon-gil, Giheung-gu, Yonginsi
    • 202ho
    • Yonginsi
    • Giheung-gu
    • KR

They have pretty good feedback, 96% positive for 12 months.

In other words, Amazon does let you know some details about their sellers. And Amazon does guarantee stuff bought from their website, even if from a third party seller.

Larry

BugRobotics

I've had plenty of good experiences with Alibaba/AliExpress. Custom LCDs, cameras, custom ceramics, etc.

My rule is if I don't have a good connection that responds relatively quickly with relevant questions/answers I move on to a different vendor.

thermite

PM has "boots on the ground" - members - in Spain.

Should be able to get "some" idea of level of risk?

Even so, if one failed, so could the next.. even if it were a brand-new and ex-Denso factory unit.

Meanwhile..

Diesel ENGINES are not as easily nor cheaply converted to LPG or CNG as gasoline engines. It is done less-often. It costs more. It gains little, or even sacrifices a skosh. "Range" for example.

But range for a FL truck is not as important as it would be for an interstate highway runner passenger car.

Regardless.. Diesel to LPG conversion CAN be done, and IS done.

That could get a person out from under slavery to unobtanium and EXPENSIVE electronics and - one hopes - WITHOUT even pulling the engine, let alone swapping it?

Worth a recce?

2CW

Milacron

Super Moderator
Holy Cow ! I ordered the ECU via Amazon / Big Tiger Parts just 8 days ago and it arrived Fedex today ! Looks very official... in Hyundai "Genuine Parts" box, unit itself appears new with identical labeling to original... thanks for the tip crossthread. :) Will be a week or so before I install it as I'm waiting on the TCU (transmission module) to be returned from Flight Systems after their evaluation.

As aside, for curiosity I checked Amazon just now and the price has gone up over $200 since I ordered it. :ill:

(as I recall my price was $1,385 plus tax plus only $15 shipping)