What's new
What's new

Through spindle coolant suppliers.

updatedsecurity

Aluminum
Hello

I was wondering if there are through spindle coolant options that can be obtained without going through the supplier. I have now an okuma Genos and am interested in exploring options.

I have now an okuma Genos and am interested in exploring options.
Do you have documentation for this machine? Most likely, the spindle on the machine with the CTC option and without the option is the same. If desired, you can install a rotary joint, hoses and valves. Most likely, the documentation for the machine has all the necessary diagrams, etc.

Do you have documentation for this machine? Most likely, the spindle on the machine with the CTC option and without the option is the same. If desired, you can install a rotary joint, hoses and valves. Most likely, the documentation for the machine has all the necessary diagrams, etc.
Hello.

I think it's all setup. What I need is the high pressure pump and filter.

Hello.

I think it's all setup. What I need is the high pressure pump and filter.
What verifiable proof do you have to make that statement? Have you gotten up on top of your machine and looked at the top of the spindle? Is there an unused High Pressure Hose dangling from the back of the machine? Not trying to be a dick, but simply trying to save you from surprises.

I can only speak from Mori experience so some of this may not apply, but there are significant and substantial pieces of hardware on my mid/late 90's SV50 that are not included on a non TSC machine. Let alone the Rotary Joint. The entire Tool Release Air over Hydraulic Cylinder is raised up maybe 8" using four large hex standoffs. This makes room for the special casting that accepts the High Pressure Hose connection and holds the translatable non-rotating half of the Rotary Joint. Then of course you have Contactors and Overloads and what have you, then there's the Ladder Logic for all the confirmation and Alarm signals etc. The logic might be there, but it may take a Keep Relay or two to get it going.
If you have parts manuals that include the TSC stuff, and before going out to buy any pumps and filters or what have you, I'd make sure I went through them thoroughly and physically verify what is there and what isn't. If you've already done all that to make your statement true, well that's great to hear and I hope you pull it off. No really! :-)

Last edited:
We made the CTS pump on the brother quick connect to the Genos 560 and 460-5ax. Requires air purge on tool change. Mine has air through tool already. We built the air into the tool change macro. Using the conveyor wash pump output. So no wiring was needed. Over buy on the filter, ours is listed as 250psi, we keep it under 200 set point. Sometimes it drifts up and leaks.

There's no pressure interlock though and have that be an issue a couple times. Chips popped conveyor breaker stopping TSC.

Just curious if an air purge is absolutely necessary. My only experience is with thru the flange type which seems totally fine without. Be that used with or without the check valves behind the port openings.

Do these thru the stud systems use a check valve? If not, is a little splash of coolant on the taper a deal breaker? I've seen some pretty splashy-showery thru coolant tool changes on Youtube vids that seem to tell me it's not a problem. Just askin...

We made the CTS pump on the brother quick connect to the Genos 560 and 460-5ax. Requires air purge on tool change. Mine has air through tool already. We built the air into the tool change macro. Using the conveyor wash pump output. So no wiring was needed. Over buy on the filter, ours is listed as 250psi, we keep it under 200 set point. Sometimes it drifts up and leaks.

There's no pressure interlock though and have that be an issue a couple times. Chips popped conveyor breaker stopping TSC.
Thank you. I think buying a brother for our new 560 v to be used as a tsc pump would be slightly more expensive than just buying the pump for us. But it is a good idea of being able to use one pump for multiple machines. I have air blast through spindle as well. Still hoping to find an off the shelf solution.

Conventional multistage semi-submersible pumps are typically used for CTS. Buy the one that suits you in terms of features and price. You can look at the characteristic in the documentation for the machine - or rather, there you will find the model of the recommended pump. Just buy +- with the same flow and pressure.

We have MP systems on our Genos Mills. They are simple enough to run, easy to change filters, and they are a relatively compact package. You may need extra M-Codes for the HPC install though.

Back