What's new
What's new

Tig welding SS for show, which Tig welder

weldman

Plastic
Just about any tig welder will do if you are only using for small infrequent projects. ill repeat "just about"

Rob F. replied on pg, 1. he was right. piss on that SS hard wire! If you want to wire weld, flux core SS runs and looks beautiful. .045 dia. should do it for most welding. 1/16" is a bit large but it runs great on thicker material. C02 is needed for the shielding gas. Thats why its called "duel shield" the core and the gas.

booster15

Plastic
have you tried MIG welder? I recently bought a Longevity 140-Amp. It’s designed with the capacity of welding 3/8-inch steel, but it is overall and can work with many passes and is better for 1/4-inch sections or less. The wire feed isn’t the greatest; it sometimes works well but is known for being a low-quality part of the machine that can cause people problems but you will enjoy working with this MIG welder if your type of work is not as demanding as the case for professional welders (it's my case).in General, if you are interested in MIG welder, look at this site prowelderguide.com. There are many different welding machines with detailed descriptions.I found out about Longevity 140-Amp from this site, so I think you'll find something suitable.

indianamoon

Aluminum
I would definitely go TIG, much more versatility. And I would not get one of the cheap 110 vac units. I think Miller is the way to go, have a syncrowave 500 at the shop and a syncrowave 250 at home in the garage. Makes very pretty welds when I do my part.

DDoug

Diamond
have you tried MIG welder? I recently bought a Longevity 140-Amp. It’s designed with the capacity of welding 3/8-inch steel, but it is overall and can work with many passes and is better for 1/4-inch sections or less. The wire feed isn’t the greatest; it sometimes works well but is known for being a low-quality part of the machine that can cause people problems but you will enjoy working with this MIG welder if your type of work is not as demanding as the case for professional welders (it's my case).in General, if you are interested in MIG welder, look at this site die spammers die.com. There are many different welding machines with detailed descriptions.I found out about Longevity 140-Amp from this site, so I think you'll find something suitable.

Spamming much these days ?

aarongough

Stainless
OP still hasn't answered the question regarding which gas he used with his MIG.

OP: if you're using C25 with stainless wire then the gas is responsible for the greater than normal level of spatter you saw, and will also leave the bead looking grey and possibly with some porosity.

The correct gas for MIG welding stainless is Tri-Mix which is usually a very high percentage of Helium (like 90% I think?). It should give you vastly better results than using C25.

If you want something like the TIG appearance but would like to stick with your MIG, then look up tutorials on the 'MIG like TIG' technique. It's a way of manipulating the torch during welding that leaves a bead that looks much more like TIG than MIG. If you were welding structural parts then there might be some concern of not putting in enough heat using this technique but given that they're aesthetic parts it should not be a problem.

There is a guy famous on the welding forums for his MIG like TIG technique (name of ZTFab). Done right it really does emulate the 'stack of dimes' look pretty well.

Here's some links:
ZTFab'''s MIG work : Welding
Welding Tips and Tricks • View topic - Mig like Tig

DennisCA

Hot Rolled
Hobart Brothers were bought by ITW, the parent company of Miller, in 1996.
Pre 96 Hobarts are pretty much Hobart designed and made.
Post 96, they are part of a family of welders made under different brand names, but designed by the same engineers.

It's a sad development to see all these companies getting bought up and made part of the same. Diversity in design and in the market place is being lost.

As for me I have an old 300A Kemppi from the 1990s which is finnish made and 3 phase. Stick and Tig DC welding, HF and basic functions such as slope and arc force for the stick mode. Works a treat, I'm the limitation. Want to complete it with a kemppi mig welder from the same time period. They just work and last and I can fix them myself if some component goes bad.