What's new
What's new

tightening lock nut

AlexBanich

Stainless
Ok so this is a question that my coworkers disagree on. When tightening the lock nut on the spindle is it ok to tap it tight with a piece of brass? One of my coworkers says "All I know is where I use to work they always said don't do it" My other coworker says "Well the spindles are spring loaded so whats the big deal?" I know the reason why its done, so that there is repeatability when you turn the grinder on after its at a dead stop..... at least thats what I'm told.

So what is the true way? Honestly for what I do its irrelevant, but I've been wondering about this for a while.

hehehe... I gave an answer to that some time ago which got some people upset I think. Not sure they fully understood me.

I don't like tapping with a piece of brass on the wrench. Did it for many many yrs. Probably no big deal, but it does put a shock on the bearing and that makes me cringe.

I use a low power impact wrench. All the forces are torque, and do not shock the bearings. I use an 11/16 deep socket which I needed to grind a little off the OD so it would go into the hub. I ground enough off so that I can use a wide wheel hub and still get the socket in.

I've been using this method for the last 20 yrs. with no ill effects in the spindle.

You don't have to tap it if your wheel mounts are in good condition. The nut gets tighter as the load increases. If your wheel mounts are in bad condition, that is, they don't wring to the spindle they should be replaced. If you feel compelled to tap, use a piece of wood.

Ok so this is a question that my coworkers disagree on. When tightening the lock nut on the spindle is it ok to tap it tight with a piece of brass? One of my coworkers says "All I know is where I use to work they always said don't do it" My other coworker says "Well the spindles are spring loaded so whats the big deal?" I know the reason why its done, so that there is repeatability when you turn the grinder on after its at a dead stop..... at least thats what I'm told.

So what is the true way? Honestly for what I do its irrelevant, but I've been wondering about this for a while.

Back