What's new
What's new

Tip: using expansion hand reamers

HuFlungDung

Diamond
I've always generally cursed when it was time to get out the expansion reamer to try to do final fitting on a hole. Reaming low carbon steel can be a real biatch, what with the reamer exhibiting a continual tendency to stick, forcing you to pull it back, curse, and try again. This might take as many as 20 to 30 curses, per hole, and can quickly exhaust one's supply, and creating the nuisance of shopping for new expletives :D

So I thought instead of using my cordless drill, in screw drive mode, with the slip clutch purposely set loose, so it wouldn't break the reamer (I was using a 3/8" reamer at the time). With comparative continuous progress, I was able to quickly rattle and work the reamer through the holes quite quickly, and without gouges and scoring.

I've always generally cursed when it was time to get out the expansion reamer to try to do final fitting on a hole. Reaming low carbon steel can be a real biatch, what with the reamer exhibiting a continual tendency to stick, forcing you to pull it back, curse, and try again. This might take as many as 20 to 30 curses, per hole, and can quickly exhaust one's supply, and creating the nuisance of shopping for new expletives :D

So I thought instead of using my cordless drill, in screw drive mode, with the slip clutch purposely set loose, so it wouldn't break the reamer (I was using a 3/8" reamer at the time). With comparative continuous progress, I was able to quickly rattle and work the reamer through the holes quite quickly, and without gouges and scoring.

3/8" adjustable reamer in a hand held cordless driver/drill? Through sheet metal (very short hole)?

I've used a reamer in a drill before, but not quite that way.......

'Specially not "rattling it through", which can sound a bit bubba-scary, depending

I was reaming a through hole, 1" deep.

I had interpolated the holes on the cnc, so the top of the hole was pretty close to correct, but at the bottom, it was a little tight. I'd estimate I was taking out maybe .0005 (by volume of chips).

"Rattling it through" is pretty much how those reamers behave: you can be carefully winding it, let's say almost 3/4" deep, it will turn freely, then it will jam. So if you can concentrate more on the feeding with the drill motor, and less with the turning (and off center forces) of a hand wrench, you're better off. It's the drill clutch that is doing the rattling.

Back