What's new
What's new

TM1 Coolant Improvement

Koosie

Plastic
Hi I don't post here alot but this is my go to for Haas issues. I can usually find that someone else has had the same issue and I can get an answer without asking.
Awhile back I bought a toolroom mill 2006 vintage. It came with a dorky 1/8 horse grays mills coolant pump and a pretty sweet coolant ring made by redbone tool. I found the flow and pressure of this system to be piss poor at best and immediately wanted more. I decided to hotrod the pump and if I burned it up who cares. To me the plastic impeller was far to small and sloppy in the housing so I made one that was larger and "looked about right" to me with a closer fit. Now I have acceptable coolant don't have to babysit pockets with air hose. I've been running it this way and it seems like the motor is going to take it. It gets just warm to the touch after a lot of use.
Just thought I'd throw it up as an option for tm or tl owner's.

Attachments

• IMG_20230205_184350582.jpg
    IMG_20230205_184350582.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20230205_161201221_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230205_161201221_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 36
Hi I don't post here alot but this is my go to for Haas issues. I can usually find that someone else has had the same issue and I can get an answer without asking.
Awhile back I bought a toolroom mill 2006 vintage. It came with a dorky 1/8 horse grays mills coolant pump and a pretty sweet coolant ring made by redbone tool. I found the flow and pressure of this system to be piss poor at best and immediately wanted more. I decided to hotrod the pump and if I burned it up who cares. To me the plastic impeller was far to small and sloppy in the housing so I made one that was larger and "looked about right" to me with a closer fit. Now I have acceptable coolant don't have to babysit pockets with air hose. I've been running it this way and it seems like the motor is going to take it. It gets just warm to the touch after a lot of use.
Just thought I'd throw it up as an option for tm or tl owner's.
I just use a $125 sump pump. added a cam roller follower switch so she quits pumping coolant at about 10" off the table.
I added P-cool and really like it, but my TM-2 will not honor M7, M8 or M9. there is not solenoid or trigger signal source. It does not exist.
Oh yeah, and for a sump, I use $40.00 tote from home depot and I put a 10" pleated paper filter and check valve to manage things and prevent from wearing my machine out with coolant-born abrasives.

I just use a $125 sump pump. added a cam roller follower switch so she quits pumping coolant at about 10" off the table.
I added P-cool and really like it, but my TM-2 will not honor M7, M8 or M9. there is not solenoid or trigger signal source. It does not exist.
Oh yeah, and for a sump, I use $40.00 tote from home depot and I put a 10" pleated paper filter and check valve to manage things and prevent from wearing my machine out with coolant-born abrasives.
No plug on the board for coolant on/off?? Seems odd as has boards are the same throughout the line of all machines.
My tl had the same board as my Tm and so on…
Pretty sure it was labeled “coolant”
Been a few years now tho.

A tote and a high head sump pump is a great/cheap solution, screen filters are great for primary filtration and i am big fan of inline bag filters after the pump for filtration to the nozzles.
Gets the fines and any stray chips that would otherwise clog nozzles

Now that sounds like a good setup I've already thought about the fine chips that I'm probly recutting but can't see...

No plug on the board for coolant on/off?? Seems odd as has boards are the same throughout the line of all machines.
My tl had the same board as my Tm and so on…
Pretty sure it was labeled “coolant”
Been a few years now tho.

A tote and a high head sump pump is a great/cheap solution, screen filters are great for primary filtration and i am big fan of inline bag filters after the pump for filtration to the nozzles.
Gets the fines and any stray chips that would otherwise clog nozzles
I spent a lot of time on it.
I did a lot of testing to try to find a trigger signal, it is not making one.
Yes, there is coolant marked points, but they are not active.
Been a few months, can't remember.
It seems to me I took it up with Haas as well.

I spent a lot of time on it.
I did a lot of testing to try to find a trigger signal, it is not making one.
Yes, there is coolant marked points, but they are not active.
Been a few months, can't remember.
It seems to me I took it up with Haas as well.
You could add a pump on a toggle on the controller and also add a roller switch on the z axis to auto shut off at g53 z0.

This is the third iteration. I have been running this one for probly a month or so. Other similar designs have been in there for longer before this one.

I'm not gonna say it doesn't load the motor a bit more but has worked well for me thus far.

My situation was the coolant output was unacceptable. Now I'm happy with it. It was gonna get changed one way or another.

Hi folks,
I’ll have a look at my pump propeller tomorrow as it seams a good point to increase volume of coolant. I never have been happy of the coolant flow and pressure I got especially for deep internal treading.
I’m working on coolant management improvements this weeks so I order a belt oil skimmer to clean up the oil on the surface of my tank. I also plan to implement a chiller to keep my coolant below 25 degree C. I also implemented from the first day I have my machine an UV LED on the flow of the coolant. It kills bacteria and keep the coolant not stinky. And future step will be the improve filtration so far the filtration net aren’t really good and sometimes I find some small chips clogging my nozzle

Back