What's new
What's new

To Auger....or triple Auger?....that is the question

Ross Shafer

Plastic
Howdy all,

Hoping for some real world input before finalizing my VF2ss order. I've heard and read some not so great reviews of the single auger chip removal system on the VF2ss. My dealer says he almost never get orders fr the triple auger system and has heard little in the way of probs with the single auger. The conveyor type is not avail on the VF2, but a triple auger system is for about $2900 extra. I've looked around on the interweb and have yet to find any real consensus. Does the triple set up work much better than the single or just a little better? What say ye? Yay or Nay?

Also, there's a $1500 charge for installation here in California. Apparantly it went into affect here a couple years back, but isn't done in every state (according to a pal who got one in NY a year ago). I've added quite a few options and had always heard that one of the best parts of buying a Haas was that they come set it up for free....hearsay I know. Anmy input or hints on negotiating that charge outta there?

Many thanks for any input and Happy Hot Dang Holidays! Stay Safe!

I'd think about a DIY washdown for the back walls a another option, which would require a better pump and a way of ensuring the chip drains don't clog. But the advantages of a washdown are pretty compelling:

Pushing chips from the entire back of the machine down to the front auger.

Keeping the chips moving at all times, not just when the side augers run

Cheaper if DIY, the pump and plumbing don't have to be super expensive.

Chips are certainly a PITB, but there's more than one way to handle them.

The new VF2ss come with a 'peudo' washdown. Basically a bent angle that washes the back Y guard, but it basically then flushes along the Y base, so it actually isn't a wash down with multiple spouts. No experience witht he triple system, but our singles work fine for us. I think it will depend on how and what you machine. We use little endmills for small parts so we aren't making a ton of chips.

The "washdown" on the haas machines I ran were pretty much useless but most of the part I ran were aluminum parts with a lot of facing. The long hooked chips from facing would make a mat in the bottom of the machine that would catch every other chip and have to be cleared out with a chip rake or hook. I have only run single auger and no auger Haas mills so I can't comment on the triple auger.

One auger sucks for removing chips on a vf2ss, but I think it would be much better if you put a spray bar on each side of the Back Cabinet. you would have to run a seperate pump as the current pump doesn't have enough pressure or flow to move chips.

I looked at the 3 auger deal chips dont build up in the center they build up on the sides right and left, left being most. so your still going to need to add a modified wash down and pump.

I have a 2009 on the back of the y axis by the z chip guards they have a rectangle spray bay to keep the y cover chips cleared. make or buy 2-4 and a new pump and put them on the back panel (right and left side)

I did a makeshift one years ago, but took it out due to not enough another pressure and volume hence needing another pump. I see no reason why it wouldn't work if there was another pump just for those. 1 on each side should due it on the vf2ss but might wanna try 2 on each side.
in all honesty you could get some PVC pop some holes in if for sprays and run it to a good pump. at least you can modify it easy enough to find what works.

Last job we had on it ran auger entire time, filling up 2+ barrels in a 12 hour shift of chips, every 2 parts we had to sweep the chips to the auger from the back or just remove them with a dust pan. lost lots of time just removing chips.

wheelieking may comment on this as he has some vf2s and runs lots of chips. I am curious to see how he does it.

In my neck of the woods machines are defiantly not installed for free. Very northern thought

My 2009 vf2 I feel has poor chip clearing performance, struggling to get the chips to the auger without a broom every hour, especially hms in steel. no experience with the triple, looks like it would work.
its funny as I had a TM series before this and it cleared chips much better to the front of the machine, a lot more angle on the base sheet steel. the VF has very little angle (my 2009)

What about a washdown that switched from one side to the other on the stock pump? that would give lots of flow I think?
or tip the machine a 20deg on install! haha

I have 2 vf2ss mills with 3 augers and if your going to be running a "LOT" of chips there the only way to go ,, I run a lot of small aluminum rougher mill chips and on my vf4ss they just build up under the table and I have a stick with a plastic blade on it I have to use about every hour to move the chips down to the single auger and it SUCKS,, the same parts ran on the VF2ss with the 3 auger systems I never even have to wash the chips down ,,, yes they still build up a little in the back corners and around the loops over the auger screws but when they get to big they slide down into the augers by there self ,,,

If I am running a job that only fills the 35 gallon Rubbermaid cans once a day a normal single auger would work ,, but I run a lot of parts that fill the cans every hour or two.

FYI
I ordered the last 2 mills without P-cool and would say save your money on it but buy the quad augers .. Haas has changed there coolant system so it wraps around the spindle and comes down at a lot less angle so it seems to work good for long and short tools with no adjustment.

Thanks all, I appreciate the input. I went with the single auger....pretty sure it'll do fine for the level of production we do. Worst case, I'll add some sort of flush system as some of you mentioned.

Happy Holidays, stay safe and 2020, get thee behind me!!

Back