What's new
What's new

To go all Dual Contact, Standard or both?

CarbideBob is 100% correct. Moving lots of carbide in the past few years i've been exposed to some interesting stuff.

I don't doubt that you have.

Nonetheless, I have two decades of my own experience to draw on, and I've been using capto alongside steep taper for over half of that time.

I do not do high speed - the fastest spindle on my floor is 12k - but I do lot of heavy machining in tough materials, on medium to large machines, and there is absolutely no situation where I would choose steep taper over capto if I had the choice.

I'd take a 50BBT over a C6, but I would take the C6 over a plain 50, and I would take C8 over either of them.

I'm not sure I'd ever be able to really leverage a C10, but I'd like to try!

I don't doubt that you have.

Nonetheless, I have two decades of my own experience to draw on, and I've been using capto alongside steep taper for over half of that time.

I do not do high speed - the fastest spindle on my floor is 12k - but I do lot of heavy machining in tough materials, on medium to large machines, and there is absolutely no situation where I would choose steep taper over capto if I had the choice.

I'd take a 50BBT over a C6, but I would take the C6 over a plain 50, and I would take C8 over either of them.

I'm not sure I'd ever be able to really leverage a C10, but I'd like to try!

Capto is an amazing interface. Overall great static and dynamic stiffness. One of the only proper solutions if you need rotational repeatability. Capto C6 is better than HSk63 and dual contact CAT40 in every way.

Keys are for alignment and thats all. Ive seen 10 year old 40 taper holders and the black oxide isn't even worn on the inside wall of the drive keys. The big problem is that the person in a company that knows this kind of stuff is too valuable to be used for website copy.

Impossible to say conclusively. I will say that for shallow (<1") pockets in aluminum on my Speedio, BT30 worked fine -- but BBT30 was nicer (a little quieter, better wall quality, just worked a little better). For pockets over 1" deep, BBT30 was worth every penny of the new upgrade.

Depends on how big your tools are, how far they stick out, and how hard you push them.

On my haas. I never really cut anything over 2” deep in 6061

Facemill is 2.5 and 3”.

I’m about 95% alum, rest is brass and ss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my haas. I never really cut anything over 2” deep in 6061

Facemill is 2.5 and 3”.

I’m about 95% alum, rest is brass and ss

Again, it depends on how hard you push them. If you're up against the rigidity limits of your kinetic chain (from the tool to the holder to the spindle to the machine, around to the table, the workholding and the stock), then going dual contact could help you push a little harder, especially if everything else in the chain is as solid as possible. If you're not pushing the limits, don't worry about it.

Again, it depends on how hard you push them. If you're up against the rigidity limits of your kinetic chain (from the tool to the holder to the spindle to the machine, around to the table, the workholding and the stock), then going dual contact could help you push a little harder, especially if everything else in the chain is as solid as possible. If you're not pushing the limits, don't worry about it.

I’m not a production shop, prototype 1-50 parts. I had a haas and now going to a Doosan, with the increase rigidity of the Doosan. On my haas I never pushed the spindle pass 70-80%

Back