animal
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/7550242674.html
The machines are:
- 3 Harig 612 surface grinders
- 1 Harig 618 surface grinder
- 1 Nardini-MS 1640E lathe
- 1 Hardinge Automatic chucker
- 1 EDM sinker from Taiwan
- 1 Comet Advanced VMC-520 CNC mill (Controller not functioning)
- 1 Honing machine
- 2 metal dust collectors

More images are shared here:

Maybe they can get those prices out west but not in the rust belt. On a great day, $7k for everything. In Michigan, he wouldn’t get $1500 for all those grinders combined.

That looks way cheap?
Agree, for a set-up shop if the building rent is not too high. I could likely make over $100K+ after expenses with that shop. Likely hire a couple of retirees, or hand-pick a couple of young people I would make setups for. Likely make quick set spotters for grinders and mill so the employees did not have to do much thinking.
(X) but the shop is a hodgepodge and needs twice that space.
Big surprise to see all those vises and no grinding fixtures. likely he did not know much about grinding.
Hargis are Ok grinders if they are in Ok condition... but the high up down-feed loses production time.
likely need at least another 5 or $10K spent to support the grinders with proper equipment.

Last edited:
Maybe they can get those prices out west but not in the rust belt. On a great day, $7k for everything. In Michigan, he wouldn’t get $1500 for all those grinders combined.
Huh, I checked out some Harig's last week at an auction and decided to pass unless they went for really cheap as condition wasn't great. Auctions are funny places sometimes, but these prices seemed ridiculous. Prices below are the sold prices before 18% rip.

$2000
a842e88f-8e07-4c61-ac83-af1c01791b7e.jpg

$1200 (Repainted)
4303eadc-0124-45c9-95fc-af1c01791fa9.jpg

$1800
54e2f8bd-ee00-4097-a1ee-af1c01734d07.jpg

Agree, for a set-up shop if the building rent is not too high. I could likely make over $100K+ after expenses with that shop. Likely hire a couple of retirees, or hand-pick a couple of young people I would make setups for. Likely make quick set spotters for grinders and mill so the employees did not have to do much thinking.
(X) but the shop is a hodgepodge and needs twice that space.
Big surprise to see all those vises and no grinding fixtures. likely he did not know much about grinding.
Hargis are Ok grinders if they are in Ok condition... but the high up down-feed loses production time.
likely need at least another 5 or $10K spent to support the grinders with proper equipment.
There was a long time tool grinder who had a shop down the aisle from me (renting in an industrial complex). Great situation for me since he was close and although he did not give away his time was able to translate my not so brilliant ideas into usable cutting tools.
He had been in business upwards of about 30 years and often remarked how things had changed. He probably was in the shop 20-30 hours a week with machines setup to do specific work on a smallish list of clients. Some hobbs, oddball cutters, and emergency repair work. He did quite well---not too many tool grinders around here. He passed about a year ago. Great guy. The value in the equipment was the guy who set it up and ran it. That shop in the pictures would probably get parted out piecemeal and maybe make someone a fair return...or not.

IM thinking that the guy that put the add up probably used a # that might fit with something he has his sights on & figures that this is his path to that . He said that he inherited the place so there is really no attachment .
animal

@ Newtonsapple.

I’ve seen some crazy things happen at auctions but that’s ridiculous. I had a Harig Super 612 with electro magnet that would grind 4 buttons on the corners within .0002” and couldn’t get $400 for it. Posted on FB and CL for over a year. Sold it for $300.

Swapped out the Harig last year for a Parker Majestic #2 with 1/10ths Sony readouts, electro magnet, power elevation and OE coolant pump. Tight as can be for $800.

Last edited:
This was a pretty big auction 4-5 days worth of stuff. The only explanation I can think of is that the machines are being exported somewhere used used machines are not available. Possibly some money laundering mixed in there too.

I'm in the market for a nice $400 Harig...

This was a pretty big auction 4-5 days worth of stuff. The only explanation I can think of is that the machines are being exported somewhere used used machines are not available. Possibly some money laundering mixed in there too.

I'm in the market for a nice $400 Harig...
Everything I was watching at that auction went for what I thought was rather high prices.

An Agathon 175 Dia for ~25K?? (that includes BP)

Everything I was watching at that auction went for what I thought was rather high prices.

An Agathon 175 Dia for ~25K?? (that includes BP)
Yeah, there were some crazy prices.

$23,305 all in for this thing, seems wild:
752e18cb-98ef-4c0c-ad6a-af1c017381dd.jpg

They also got $23,600 for this.
80f6bc4c-9f41-4fc8-bea7-af1e00f2548b.jpg

The small/midsized shops like the OP's are always hard to get rid of. Too small for a lot of auction houses, yet still a lot of stuff to get rid of and not a totally insignificant value to just scrap. When you add up the major items though, it the asking price seems inline. It would be a great deal if you need everything, but hard work if you are trying to flip things.

A few years ago I made the trek to Indiana to buy a Kearney Trecker 2d from a mold shop. The guy had a stack of Harig's and asked if I wanted one. My trailer was already full, with the 2D and a B&S 2A Horizontal that I picked up on the way in Toledo. I asked him how much and he wanted $800ea, $600ea if I took all 4 (I think it was? that was 10 years ago). Said everyone of them would grind tenths all day long.

I had just bought a 10x15 abrasive with a fine line Walker Ceramax for $200 at auction and passed.

I keep looking for another small 6x12 or similar for a reasonable deal in good shape cause the Abrasive is finally getting tired. I've tried to rebuild the spindle, but just can't get it right. It'll still grind .0002" over the 10x15 travel, but the finish is getting worse.

So, like newtonsapple, if anyone comes across a nice harig or similar 7" or 8" grinder please let me know!

Seems to me like any surface grinder that looks old, but runs good and grinds close tolerance is in the $300 to $700 range these past few years.

A few years ago I made the trek to Indiana to buy a Kearney Trecker 2d from a mold shop. The guy had a stack of Harig's and asked if I wanted one. My trailer was already full, with the 2D and a B&S 2A Horizontal that I picked up on the way in Toledo. I asked him how much and he wanted $800ea, $600ea if I took all 4 (I think it was? that was 10 years ago). Said everyone of them would grind tenths all day long.

I had just bought a 10x15 abrasive with a fine line Walker Ceramax for $200 at auction and passed.

I keep looking for another small 6x12 or similar for a reasonable deal in good shape cause the Abrasive is finally getting tired. I've tried to rebuild the spindle, but just can't get it right. It'll still grind .0002" over the 10x15 travel, but the finish is getting worse.
Maybe it's worth getting the spindle professional rebuilt? If the rest of the machine is good, why not - is it too big for your needs?

Maybe it's worth getting the spindle professional rebuilt? If the rest of the machine is good, why not - is it too big for your needs?
If I could, I would. I've talked to several spindle shops and I have not found anyone willing to rebuild it.

Sopko, my go to for spindle work, was as helpful as they could be, they got me two of the three bearings, and they gave me some pointers and things to look for.

Possibly some money laundering mixed in there too.
I hear this all the time about overpriced sales at auctions, but can't seem to wrap my head around how that would even work much less be a good way to launder money. Anyone care to try explaining this one to me?

I’ve heard it a lot but not in the used machine tool industry.

A well known seller buys his goods publicly at auction, pays a premium for them, and pays with cash. Gets a receipt and invoice. Then sells those goods, again, online and publicly, makes some money and looses some money. I watch them do this a couple/few times a year. The thing is, in the nature of the business, it would be nearly impossible to line item everything to get a true accounting.

So say they spend $5k at an auction buying endmills, micrometers, misc stuff. They use “dirty” cash.

They then mix that $5k of goods into a $14k machine shop purchase. The $14k was legitimate money accounted for in the business. Voila the $14k shop and goods sells for $20k.

Seems like a lot of work to me to launder $5k. But, do it every month, and now you’ve laundered $60k in a year.

I don’t know if that’s how it works, but a company I know of has been accused of this. I see a buyer, not an employee, a couple/few times a year at auction. They pay over market, over “retail”. The buyer is not an employee. They always pay cash. The items then show up in the company sales.

It never sat right with me.

Back