What's new
What's new

Tool eye repeatability

timer343

Plastic
Has anyone else had trouble with the repeatability of there tool eye? I have a QT200 with 640T controls. When you touch the tool eye in X, back it up and touch again my sizes are changing by .012/.010 . Sometimes it is less and sometimes more, but it will not repeat. Any help?

if it is the Omron unit and it is not repeating.... Replace it. Have had pretty good luck with Touchmaster tool eyes. They are very easy to install.

Justin

Tool eye on my 25 year old QT repeats within 0.001" from cold machine to warm machine. We replaced the eye 5 years ago, but the arm and servo that drops it down is still original.

Sounds like the tool eye is gummy with coolant or was damaged. Tool eye easy to replace and recalibrate. I could not imagine working without a non-functional tool eye I use it so much. PITA without it.

Most of them have Problems with the V-Rubber in the round
Tool Eye Arm ( where you have the three Screws in the middel)
The V-Rubber is mostly full of littel swarfs.

Old thread, I know, but I'm having this exact same problem now.

Operator touched off a stock stop on the eye and didn't notice the stop was pushing on the base of the eye. Nothing broke, I think.

Now my od tools are at one edge (high) of the probe surface instead of center. I adjusted the od parameter B61 and got the od tools within a tenth or two of where they should be.

However, I couldn't get the boring bar to adjust. I started touching off, backing off and touching off again a second time and the offset changed almost .05"! It was all over the place.

Coolant or chips in the probe? Probe is shot?

Pretested Touchmaster for sale

I am on my third Touchmaster in six months. I had one that was completely out of square like .006 in about .200 across the face, the problem was that it wasn't a rotation issue but rather opposite sides were not parallel to each other. There was no way to correct. They acknowledged that others had the same problem. The next one had one side badly out of square and was drifting after a couple of months of use and would repeat within anywhere within 0 to.010. basically no repeatability at all. They sent me another one to replace it as the acknowledged plating problems on contacts. The third one was fairly square but after a few months doesn't repeat better than +- .005 in X. I am not moving the arm but rather just backing off and remeasuring several times. Z still repeats perfectly.

I just bought a brand new Omron unit and am offering the pretested and verified bad touchmaster for $50 over what the list price is. I figure it is worth more than the new price because you could buy a new one and risk the problems I have had or simply spend the extra and buy mine and not bother putting it in. Just put it on the shelf and never use it again like I will. You will in the end save money. PM me if interested.

I am on my third Touchmaster in six months. I had one that was completely out of square like .006 in about .200 across the face, the problem was that it wasn't a rotation issue but rather opposite sides were not parallel to each other. There was no way to correct. They acknowledged that others had the same problem. The next one had one side badly out of square and was drifting after a couple of months of use and would repeat within anywhere within 0 to.010. basically no repeatability at all. They sent me another one to replace it as the acknowledged plating problems on contacts. The third one was fairly square but after a few months doesn't repeat better than +- .005 in X. I am not moving the arm but rather just backing off and remeasuring several times. Z still repeats perfectly.

I just bought a brand new Omron unit and am offering the pretested and verified bad touchmaster for $50 over what the list price is. I figure it is worth more than the new price because you could buy a new one and risk the problems I have had or simply spend the extra and buy mine and not bother putting it in. Just put it on the shelf and never use it again like I will. You will in the end save money. PM me if interested.

I think I'll pass. If the unit isn't good enough to use in your shop and you think it's bad, there's no way I'd want it.

Sounds like Touchmaster makes crap.

$50 over list for a bad unit you don't want?

Thanks for the favor.

I think I'll pass. If the unit isn't good enough to use in your shop and you think it's bad, there's no way I'd want it.

Sounds like Touchmaster makes crap.

$50 over list for a bad unit you don't want?

Thanks for the favor.

The story I told was the truth from my experience. The price was entirely a joke to make a point. Anyone would be a fool to buy the one I have.

Touchmaster tool eye

Boy, i know what ya mean on the tool eyes. We took the bait on them, bought like 8 of them over the course of 5 months. We are having nothing but trouble out of them, off anywhere from .008 to .020. Needless to say the owner is of no help, were done with them. Has anyone tried Metrol from japan? I just ordered one and im going to find out. They are cheaper than Mazaks.:willy_nilly:

Metrol is what Mazak used on their older lathes. They have been quite trouble free unless damaged, or coolant soaked. With air freight from Japan, they are still much cheaper than Mazak.

I would replace the rubber seal on the pocket, they get full of sarf and let coolant in when it is in the park position.

Bill

Anybody having issues with the Touch Master Tool Eye's from Tool Eye, Inc please contact me. I took over the business when my father, Roger passed away last August. We have a new way of attaching the carbide to the plunger that assures the tolerance is .001" across the face of the carbide touch pad. This issue has been fixed and we want to stand behind our product. Email me at [email protected], text or call 417-860-8302, or PM me through this website and I'll share our address to send your unit back to so we can replace the plungers with new ones to fix the issue.

We believe we manufactur and sell a superior product at a fraction of the cost of Metrol and Omron, we can rebuild it, and it's assembled in the USA plus you'll always get a person when you call us. We'd love the opportunity to fix the issue at no cost to you.

Shawn Cranford
President
Tool Eye, Inc
dba Touch Master
417-860-8302
[email protected]
CNC Tool Eye-Tool Setter : Rebuildable CNC Machine Tool Presetter/Setter

Back