What's new
What's new

Tool holding, specifically drills.

EyeEmTrash

Aluminum
I have an issue. Before I get started, I have a CNC lathe, a Mazak quickturn 250 hp. Its the kind of lathe that has a rotating tool turret. The ID of the tool holder in turret is 1.5. My issue is, that I use drills that go from 1.125, up to about 2 inches. I am more concerned with drills in the 1.125 to 1.5 range. Is there any kind of all purpose drill holder that I can buy that would be of use for all of those drill sizes? Is there some kind of arbor that I could buy or something? I just keep getting stuck on how to hold different drills and I have keep having problems. Any advice or product referrals? I hope that what I said makes sense.

Last edited:
For that machine, you can get holders with a 1.5 bore. You might find one them with a 2. bore, but I'm not positive of that.

Is there any kind of all purpose drill holder that I can buy that would be of use for all of those drill sizes?
Yes, get a 2" boring bar holder, then for your drills buy 2" od sleeves with bores of 1",1.25" and 1.5" to accomodate drills of those shank sizes.

Yes, get a 2" boring bar holder, then for your drills buy 2" od sleeves with bores of 1",1.25" and 1.5" to accomodate drills of those shank sizes.
The shanks may come different at times. Like right now we just got drills with a tapered shank. The drill is 1.125 and the shank goes down to .935.

The shanks may come different at times. Like right now we just got drills with a tapered shank. The drill is 1.125 and the shank goes down to .935.
Ok so buy some #2,#3 and #4 morse taper holders with a 2" OD.
Unless you're cutting a lot of plastic, MT hss drills aren't widely used in a cnc lathe from my experience. Typically it's indexable carbide drills.

Be careful with morse taper shank drills in a CNC lathe turret. If the turret isn't well aligned the drill can come pull out of the taper socket during rapid retract and make for some spectacular crashes!

My advice is don't use MT shank drills! Get an assortment of indexable drills and the correct sleeves to bush them down from your 1.5 bore tool blocks. For a 1.25 hole use a 1.125 drill and offset it, either to size or .010 undersize for finish boring. With an 1/8 undersize drill you can cover a lot of bases.

Is this another example of your tool salesman substituting unwanted products for what you ordered?
Lmao no. This was my doing. And now, I think I may have jumped the gun on accusing him after this last order. To be fair, I was still thinking about the last guy that ripped us off when I was accusing him and he also didn't confirm with us before ordering. I'm just glad that I didn't make a really big fuss about it.

Back