What's new
What's new

Toolrom Mill 40x20 Hurco Vs Milltronics

IndGild

Hot Rolled
If we want to buy toolroom mill with conversational programing..

Which one we should choose and why.?
We already have one Hurco we are throwing out..cant get it going( for sale $5K+ rigging)

What say you?

Hurco owns milltronics. Correct.
They still operate as 2 independent companies.

Different reps , similar machines, different controls, etc...

I guess i am looking for opinions on both

When you say "toolroom" mill, are you talking about a standard VMC for the toolroom ( with conversational ) or
a real "toolroom" mill with handles, cranks and perhaps even a quill?

I don't believe Hurco has anything in that range, and now looking at the not-so-good Milltronics website, even the MB20 isn't crankable anymore: MB2 | Milltronics USA - Let's Invent

I have an MB19 and love it for TOOLROOM!!! purposes.
If no more quill and handles available, then it really sucks because there is no way I'd ever plunk down anything to Soutwestern Industries.

Standard VMC for use in toolroo.
More specific Milltronics VM4020 vs Hurco VM20i

What is more important to me is your opinion on the companies.
Service support, spare parts availability,.... general opinions

I worked at a place that had about 10 different milltronics mills. Had a service guy in constantly working on them. Belt driven axis motors and stupid crap like that. The conversational was tolerable with a few neat features. The lathe we had was a neat lathe that machined well. Programming it was kinda funny about some things.

Milltronics can add handwheels to RH20 types and just a remote control for the VM's. Doesn't sound like your wanting it. The conversational is pretty easy and capable. You will have your quirks from brand to brand. Haven't needed anything really but when I have a question they have an answer.

I've owned both brands of cnc mills.
Both were brand new when purchased.
The Milltronics was good, but (IMHO) Hurco is, BY FAR, the better machine.
Caveat: I can't comment on the conversational of either, as I program with CAM.

How about Hurco vs Milltronics control
which one is easier to learn/use
pros and cons?

What made Hurco be better by far?

Anybody else have opinion on Hurco vs Milltronic control??

We had a Hurco VM10 we bought new and used the conversational for a year or so till I got up to speed with CAM and was really easy and pretty intuitive. Additionally, there is so much additional this like ease of probing, program editing that make the Hurco control really user friendly. It was our first machine and every other top of the line control we have no lacks in comparison in my option. Hurco has a soft key for just about everything you'll ever want to do, no hunting and pecking through several pages to get what you want.

Our Hurco dealer was awesome and provided great support. The few parts we did have to order were competitively prices and most serviceable item are off the shelf so you can get them from your favorite supplier.

I would NEVER buy a machine without a full enclosure and a tool changer. Conversational programming is limited and slow compared to Cadcam, so unless you are doing simple machining it would be a very good idea to learn Cadcam.

How about Hurco vs Milltronics control
which one is easier to learn/use
pros and cons?

What made Hurco be better by far?

Anybody else have opinion on Hurco vs Milltronic control??

The Milltronics control was fine; though, limited, as compared to a newer control. (This was a '96 vintage, bought new)
The Hurco control is windows based, and easy to navigate. ('06 vintage, bought new)

People (not me) swear by the ease of the conversational of Hurco. I wouldn't know, as I program offline.;)
What I do not like about the Hurco, is it does not really "think" in G-code, and (for me) getting used to comping tool wear is not very intuitive.

The Milltronics (at least back in '96) could use parts sourced directly from the OEM's, not just Milltronics. That alone is/was worth a 2nd look at the machine. (assuming the machine mfg still allows this.)

What made the Hurco better by far?
A 10 year difference in tech. for starters.
Much better surfacing.
Windows based control.

Mind you, I am still comparing 2 machines that were 10 years apart in age....So take my ramblings with a grain of salt.

Doug.

I have a 40x20x24 bedmill that I retrofit with a Centroid control. It is a 4 axis cnc but still has the option of a manual quill that I just used yesterday. I removed the manual hand wheels for x,y,and z because I never used them. It also has an air powered drawbar.It is open which is messy but it is nice for lining things up on repair jobs. I use this in place of a manual mill. I also have vmc's for production. This machine is meant to compliment a vmc, not replace it.

People (not me) swear by the ease of the conversational of Hurco. I wouldn't know, as I program offline.;)
What I do not like about the Hurco, is it does not really "think" in G-code, and (for me) getting used to comping tool wear is not very intuitive.

Doug.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what your saying here but about thinking in G code but the conversational is really nothing more than in interface to input you data then its converted into G code behind the scenes just like Mazatrol does, at least that's the way it was on our WinMax control. Tool comp was the same no matter what format was used as well.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what your saying here but about thinking in G code but the conversational is really nothing more than in interface to input you data then its converted into G code behind the scenes just like Mazatrol does, at least that's the way it was on our WinMax control. Tool comp was the same no matter what format was used as well.

Yes, that is what conversational IS, but my complaint is the way the Hurco ~wants~ to be native to conversational. Without changing the control over to "industry standard" (or whatever it's called) it is native to conversational.
Is it a big thing to switch? No.
But it was a mighty PITA (early on) when looking for programming /G-code support, as only Jason Folk or Mike Cope could really speak G-code.

Yes, that is what conversational IS, but my complaint is the way the Hurco ~wants~ to be native to conversational. Without changing the control over to "industry standard" (or whatever it's called) it is native to conversational.
Is it a big thing to switch? No.
But it was a mighty PITA (early on) when looking for programming /G-code support, as only Jason Folk or Mike Cope could really speak G-code.

Technically, both the conversational and ISNC modes are an "interface to input data". The Hurco control does not convert conversational to g-code behind the scenes, or vice-versa. Neither are "native". Both conversational and NC programs are interpreted on the fly into commands of the API of the motion control subsystem.

Doug - I also program all our Hurcos offline with CAM and post to ISNC format. I don't really follow your line of thought about the control being native to one or the other?? None of the non-programming functions of the control (tool table, work offsets etc.) are particularly different to any other control, and conversational and g-code programs can be run back to back without switching anything...

On really old Hurcos (Ultimax II for sure, maybe Max 3/4, but I have never used those) you had to explicitly switch modes between conversational and g-code, but not anymore.

Back