What's new
What's new

Tormach, AutoMate/Smithy, Hass

Mike7557

Plastic
With my 1phase power supply and 150a service I believe I can comfortably run one of these machines. Looking for some feedback if you'd please. Biggest part would start from 6.5" OD, 4.5" long aluminum.

New Tormach 15L. $24k w/ turret. 20a 220v 1p requirement.

New AutoMate CNC FL300-II. $27K + $1k AD supplied 3p converter w/ turret. 30a 220v 1p is what they said was required.

2002 Haas SL10T. $18k + ~$3k converter. Based on AD's math I'd need a 30hp converter and (40a Haas spec x 1.6 / 0.80 ) 80a 1p line.

I Haas has a ton of support, but is old.
Tormach has a lot of support, but is kind of flimsy seeming.
AutoMate is a perfect split in price, function and power, but there is so little info and the website is pretty junk. Kade the sales guy was pretty helpful on the phone though.

Opinions on the 3? Another, better option, <30k?

Last edited:
If the Haas is in good shape, it is probably your best option. I'd check parts availability first though for that year and model of machine just in case.
Tormach........well I have nothing good to say about them.
AutoMate... never heard of them.

The Haas has to be newer than 2002(typo?)..............the ST series started much later....................that would be the only machine I'd say would comfortably handle a part 6.5"Øx4.5" long. The other two should be tied to a long chain and used to anchor a buoy.................

Sorry, typo. It's an SL-10T and 2002.

I called the local HFO and asked the service guys about it and he made it seem doom & gloom that if the board went out you have to upgrade to the new version and it would be $15k plus. Im not sure how accurate that cost is, but makes the total machine cost (if it happened) at almost a new ST10

The service guys doom and gloom is correct. You really seem like a good candidate for a new Haas. I know there's better machines out there but you don't have any experience and Haas is the easiest to learn between training, youtube videos, and partnerships with tech schools. The other two machines get out of your head if you're serious about running a business those are for people who want to make one hitters in their garage.

Are you producing lots of the same parts or one or two prototypes at a time? If the latter, you might want to look at flat-bed CNC toolroom machines like Romi, Trak, or Haas TL.

Sorry, typo. It's an SL-10T and 2002.

I called the local HFO and asked the service guys about it and he made it seem doom & gloom that if the board went out you have to upgrade to the new version and it would be $15k plus. Im not sure how accurate that cost is, but makes the total machine cost (if it happened) at almost a new ST10

Closer to $20k................ask me how I know................................(Haas is dead to me:mad5:)

The service guys doom and gloom is correct. You really seem like a good candidate for a new Haas. I know there's better machines out there but you don't have any experience and Haas is the easiest to learn between training, youtube videos, and partnerships with tech schools. The other two machines get out of your head if you're serious about running a business those are for people who want to make one hitters in their garage.

PLUSS!!

If plans go sideways, as they are known to do.
You can easily unload the one owner Haas with only minor damage to you checkbook. As long as you take care of it.

Looking at putting in an ST10 order before they go up 8% on May 1. What can I push a distributor for to sweeten a deal? I guess the equivilant of asking the dealer to throw in tinted windows and the first few oil changes kind of thing

Back