What's new
What's new

Toyota Forklift Propane Problem

adh2000

Titanium
About 1980 Toyota forklift with 4 cylinder motor. Been on propane all it’s life. Usually reliable but now won’t run consistently. Starts and runs a few seconds, maybe up to 10 seconds, then quits. Restarts right away but then quits. Seems fuel related but don’t know. Replaced the propane tank, checked the fuel filter and verified flow downstream. Replaced the vaporizer. Removed the throttle body and had it rebuilt by the local forklift dealer. Replaced the plugs and points and distributor cap. Nothing has changed. Still won’t stay running. What else to look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might sound stupid, but check the engine oil level / oil level sender. On some LPG systems, power to the LPG solenoid flows through the oil level switch. If the level is right on the edge of too low, it might start, but shut off as soon as the oil pump draws oil out of the sump?

Coolant level is another one. Had a couple forklifts stall after startup from them freezing up. As soon as it stalled you could restart it and it would happen again and again.

I also have had the fuel line issue above. Summer hose failed internally. Would die when you revved it up and would restart right away.

Sent from my rotary dial flip fone

Start ,run 10 sec and stop.....dunno about the petrols,but Toyota diesels do just that ,the actual electric shutdown works and shuts down the motor.......In my case it was a blown accessory fuze,seemingly unrelated to the problem........buuut as mentioned,if full oil pressure isnt up by 10 secs,the motor will shut down.

I took another look at the fuel solenoid. Cleaned the connectors verified the ground went through the distributor and ignition coil replaced some wires and cleaned contacts. Runs fantastic now. Better than ever actually. Not sure what the problem was because I sort of shotgunned things. Originally went down the wrong path thinking fuel. Ran for 10 seconds then quits made me think fuel right off. When I’ve had electrical problems it’s been hard to start with missing and spitting. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and all’s well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back