What's new
What's new

Traveling column 5 axis machine, whats out there?

empower

Titanium
i'm putting together a cost:benefit analysis for buying a large-ish envelope machine for a lot of our work that we're currently subbing out for insane amounts of money.
been looking at ibarmia

or doosan VCF850LSR

what else is out there similar to these 2?
we need ~100" in x, 40 in y and z.

if anyone says DMG, i will find where you live and egg/tp your house. :P

Okuma makes some big ones. Their MCR series mills go up to 144" between columns. It says 5 sided machining, but not 5 axis so I'm not sure what exactly it can do .

https://www.gosiger.com/machines/double-column/okuma

There is the Modig Rigimill MG. 5 axis. Unlimited x 61" x 35" . I believe it's Swedish.
https://modig.se/product/rigimill-mg/?utm_referrer=https://www.gosiger.com/machines/high-speed-gantry-mills/modig
thanks! might look into okuma. i dont think the modig is what we're looking for just from a brief look

Soraluce (never seen one in person)

Other web sites you might check to see if there's a size/configuration you like are:
SNK
Zimmermann - they have machines with a weird 6th axis on the head - I've seen it at trade shows, they could never really explain it to me.
Fidia - whose USA web site I cannot find anymore...

There is a big shop on Texas that spends more time on TV than making parts that has an Ibarmia...
But I think the adults in the room took it away from them.
funny you mention that, i was just talking to the guy that bought it, haha

but thats not exactly the type i'm looking for. it doesnt have the X travel i need.
its a TCH16 iirc, i'm looking at a ZVH L3000 or something similar.

Don't know if they make anything small enough but Forest-Liné is from Canada. Fives is French, I think ? but they saved a decent US company before, Landis, and a friend of mine loves their service.

Soraluce (never seen one in person)

Other web sites you might check to see if there's a size/configuration you like are:
SNK
Zimmermann - they have machines with a weird 6th axis on the head - I've seen it at trade shows, they could never really explain it to me.
Fidia - whose USA web site I cannot find anymore...
I don't really understand the 6th on the head thing, when you can just use the other two to swing the tool. The machines that have the 6th on the table though do make sense, because you can put a part on it that falls outside of the travel range of the gantry and rotate it into the travel range for certain ops.

Edit: It looks like the 6th on the head requires less gantry motion when performing multiaxis cuts and swarfs, since on a AC head you can only tilt in one direction. On a ABC head you have two tilt directions 90deg from each other plus the C rotation meaning you can orient the tool vector with less overall head movement.

Last edited:
@empower
In addition to Okuma, which has already been mentioned, I can advise you to look at the Mazak machines.
Do you have any specific requirements for the machine? Maybe you want a very large tool magazine, or interchangeable spindle heads, or something else.
ps I wish you good luck with your purchase! I love big machines :)

Last edited:
@empower
In addition to Okuma, which has already been mentioned, I can advise you to look at the Mazak machines.
Do you have any specific requirements for the car? Maybe you want a very large tool magazine, or interchangeable spindle heads, or something else.
ps I wish you good luck with your purchase! I love big machines :)
doubt i'd ever go mazak. ideally wanna stay with Heidenhain control. requirements for what car?

Have you considered a used machine?
Anayak HVM 5000-P 5-Side Machining Center- Universal Head, 2005- 5 Axis, Rotary
Specifications:
X-Axis Travel: 169"
Y-Axis Travel: 59"
Z-Axis Travel: 59"
A-Axis Travel: +/- 180 degrees
C-Axis Travel: +/- 180 degrees
Equipped With:
Heidenhain iTNC 530 CNC Control
2 Speed Geared Headstock
A & C Axis Positioning (5-Sided)
Universal Head
Zeatz Rotary Table- Full Contouring
Zeatz 4th Axis with Center Tailstock- Full Contouring
Chip Conveyor
Program Time: 7743 hrs
Spindle Run time: 8337 hrs
Table Size: 195" x 39.3"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323909800792
Anayak machine tool merged with Correa in 2005.
Two Spanish machine tool manufacturers are merging — Nicolas Correa, S.A., Burgos, and Industrias Anayak S.A. of Deba — both of which make milling machines. Industrias Anayak also produces vertical and horizontal machining centers. The companies have sales offices in the United States — Correa's is in Deer Park, N.Y., while Anayak's is located in Calabasas, Calif. Both Correa and Anayak brands and their distribution networks will be maintained to increase market share

Last edited:
only because a sales guy dropped off a catalog recently, Quaser offers a couple. They will put any control on it you want.

Back