What's new
What's new

trepanning, 2 parts from one bar

lumley32

Aluminum
so I have a set of parts we make for a customer, lathe parts, 2000ish at a time. one is from 2.5" alloy bar, one from 1.625" bar. both parts are 10mm long.

in theory, we could get both out of the same bar (one inside the other) but it would only leave enough room for a 1.5mm face grooving tool. but the groove would be wider for most of the depth.

has anyone been mad enough to try something like this?

There's going to be mass confusion without a picture, so I'm taking a stab at it and I hope I understand the question correctly. Pink is the raw bar, green is part A, blue is part B. Both get parted off to the same length, at the same time.

I think it's a great idea but would worry about part A beating up part B after getting parted off.

Untitled.jpg

We tried something like that in CPM9V as we machined away 90% of the inside of the ring.

The time it took to trepan and insert cost was more than starting from scratch with each die.

Softer materials that treapan easier are a different story.

I have a customer who makes collars and clamps. They have had some trouble getting material in the 6" +/- range lately. They decided to do what you have described. They did not tell me that it didnt work.

You should be fine. I like the properly aimed coolant nozzle to knock the first ring off.

Good luck.

so I have a set of parts we make for a customer, lathe parts, 2000ish at a time. one is from 2.5" alloy bar, one from 1.625" bar. both parts are 10mm long.

in theory, we could get both out of the same bar (one inside the other) but it would only leave enough room for a 1.5mm face grooving tool. but the groove would be wider for most of the depth.

has anyone been mad enough to try something like this?

What material are the parts made from? To me, that would be the determining factor.

Back