What's new
What's new

Triangular babbit scrapers

guythatbrews

Titanium
Is there any interest out there for this type of thing? I can get my hands on a number of them and would pass them on for just my cost and shipping. Hate to see them junked.

$$ will be good I'm sure. Many configurations, like a scraping museum. I'll see what I can do.

The owner will be glad to see them be useful.

OK guys. I will be over there this weekend and I will feel the guy out about price. I've bought a bunch of stuff from him. He inherited a houseful and he knows nothing about any of it. His buddy put a bug in his ear I'm trying to screw him on price, which I'm not, and he is getting skiddish. So I have to tread lightly.

More later.

I will probably pick up these scrapers tomorrow. 25 scrapers mostly triangular a few straight. It will take a few days to get lined out. I think I will let you guys on the forum get all you want before I put on Ebay.

I did find a very curious one. Maybe someone knows about this kinda stuff. Outwardly similar to others but on the concave side in the middle of the triangle a swastika about 3/8" inch across is forged. A manufacturer's name is stamped into the shank but I've yet to make it out. I don't want to screw the super nice guy that has these so didn't buy this one. He hadn't even seen the swastika so coulda kept my mouth shut.

I've no idea of value, provenance, or of authenticity, but definately forged in. Hard to imagine someone would have taken the time to make a forgery of such an arcane item.

Anybody interested?

Remotely interested if the forged in logo does not increase its value much if at all. Not sure why it would but...just shows me it is a german tool and probably good quality. I dont recall if the old bearing scrapers I have have brands on them, I'll have to look.
Pics?

German but not a nazi scraper

The owner took the scraper to an antique dealer he knows. Turns out the symbol was becoming popular in German culture late in the19th century.

Interesting article from Smithsonian magazine...

The Man Who Brought the Swastika to Germany, and How the Nazis Stole It | History| Smithsonian Magazine
The Man Who Brought the Swastika to Germany, and How the Nazis Stole It | History|
Smithsonian Magazine

The shank is poorly stamped with a maker's mark. All that is legible is "Tool Co." and "MI". The dealer thinks it was made in Michigan sometime around 1900. The swastika is not rotated.

20220504_151900.jpg

Seems only later did nazis rotate the symbol 45* to create their iconic symbol.

And I still haven't picked these things up.

It's a Buffum tools co scraper, made in Missouri, probably before the 20's.
So the value premium, if any, would be as a piece of early 20th c state history.

There used to be a lot of things marked with what was once a "good luck" symbol, until the NAZI's stole it.

I owned a building that, going back in the deeds, was adjacent in the paper work to one once sold by the "Swastika real estate company"....& our then current rep in the house, had been the agent back then before the war.

smt

Going off the buffum name SMT provided a quick search came up with quite a few results, this is one that was interesting. It seems they made high quality tools. This link mentions and has pics of a scraper and aforged screwdriver:
Buffum Tool Company
An obvious tip off that it was not made in 30's germany is the writing is not german ;)

Back