What's new
What's new

Tried and True Machine

So it's my left and thankfully I'm a righty......................I'm allowed light use of my fingers. After 6 weeks the brace may come off and still just light use......................A guy gets pretty crafty at figuring out ways to work with just one claw................I tell my kids that with only one hand, dad's just like the rest of you mere mortals....................

Last edited:
I remember the time I tore my right shoulder up real bad crashing at the dunes (sand is not soft at speed).
I was running lathes at the time. I got real good at loading parts in the lathe chuck with my left arm.
The worst part was pushing in that awkward direction with the left arm sure made for some sore muscles by the end of a 10hr day.
So I would go home with two sore shoulders, LOL.

Loadin' tools in a mills a bit awkward.....Release button is on the right side of the head.............cross the gimpy hand over my right to hit the button while insertin' the tool into the spindle with the good hand...........or loading an Orange vise............strip it down to the body and center jaw which acts as a handle. Grab it one handed with the right, and trying not to blow an O ring settin it gently on the table.😰

You doo understand that that ins will pay your wage right?
It doesn't cover lost revenue in the shop. (gross sales/shop overhead)
And it Shirley doesn't get your customers their parts.

Long Term Dissability is prolly a good policy for the self employed, but Short is barely a band-aid in his app.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ya man for sure, I'm not an insurance agent. That comment was more of a this is something everyone should think about and have plans for.

Ya man for sure, I'm not an insurance agent. That comment was more of a this is something everyone should think about and have plans for.
Make sure you’re able to collect on your short term policy. I damn near cut my left thumb off and couldn’t use it for 9 weeks. I filed a claim on the short term policy I had been paying on for over 10 years.

They denied my claim because somewhere in the fine print it stated my policy kicked in on week 12.:mad5:

Make sure you’re able to collect on your short term policy. I damn near cut my left thumb off and couldn’t use it for 9 weeks. I filed a claim on the short term policy I had been paying on for over 10 years.

They denied my claim because somewhere in the fine print it stated my policy kicked in on week 12.:mad5:
Short term, but not immediately?!?!?? :rolleyes:

OK, so mamma says:

You have bought the cheapest model policy. Maybe more like a "medium term" policy? Starting at 12 weeks and going to ??? prolly 2 years? (she says that "short term" means up to 2 years)

She tries to push policies that start at either 0 or 15 days for injury and 7 days for illness, depending on your situation, and ending in 12 weeks - to keep the cost lower. This covers most people as by week 12 - if you are coming back to work - you likely are by now.

But this is just depending on what policy that you buy, which may, or may not be up to you. What is offered could also be limited by your employer too.

I think that it is common that not everyone gets an offering custom designed for just them on this stuff, but a few different offerings to choose from for the whole group. (if you are part of a group)

Since you bought this 10 yrs prior, you likely don't recall the sales pitch at the time and why you chose that policy, or maybe even if you understood the start/stop dates offered? Doo you meet with a rep each year at anniversary time? Or just roll it over and call it good? Does your rep go over what you have exactly?

Have you increased the value over the years? Doo you make more now than 10 (?) years ago? May want to edit it....
She says that by law they are only able to sell you a policy value up to 60% of your wage. So, you could be down to 40% or less by now?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Pretty sure my disability insurance kicks in after 3 months or so as well, but also covers training in a few line of work if I couldn't do this anymore after and accident or disease.

About 10 years ago I went a good while cranking handles with a really bad shoulder, wasn't super fun, nor tweaking my back in Feb this year.
Still thinking about getting into motocross/enduro next year though. Lots of protection equipment available now to reduce injuries, and worse case oh well I guess I'll have to take a break and heal up eh. I don't want to be on my death bed complaining about all the parts I didn't get to make... its been enough of that.

Heal up well.

Still thinking about getting into motocross/enduro next year though. Lots of protection equipment available now to reduce injuries, and worse case oh well I guess I'll have to take a break and heal up eh.

Be careful with that thinking! Remember, every business is about making money. And, marketing is key!

My #1 example would be neck braces. I'm not convinced they are a good thing. Just like everything in life, they are a compromise. They trade one force for another. Sure, combined with your helmet they will limit your heads angular range of motion (if your helmet is worn correctly). But, at the same time, they will stretch the hell out of your spine under the wrong circumstances. Which could be even worse! Or transmit even more force to your vertebra than without, if the geometry of the impact is such that the brace impedes the bodies motion during a crash. I personally know 5 people that suffered compound fractures of the collar-bone from neck braces. If you really want to learn the dark side of neck-braces, watch some of Ryan Hughes videos.

Knee braces? That is a tougher argument. I think they are generally a good thing. I have never worn them. But, I feel I should (esp. with my size/weight).

These are really the only two controversial safety items (neck/knee braces). Helmets/boots are a no brainer. Chest protector is not a bad idea. I have never heard of anybody getting injured from wearing one. I have seen lots of guys bruised up, and even cut, from them. But, I have seen many more (including myself!) that would have been better off in a crash with one! I have suffered my share of broken ribs. I wear one now.

Just know, if you are serious about getting in to off-road riding:
The number one protection equipment is physical conditioning, and flexibility! Emphasis on the flexibility!
My flexibility is not great. But, almost 40 years exp. I now how to crash, LOL. But, if I was to think I wanted to get "really" serious about riding again?
My #1 focus would be flexibility. Followed by cardio.

EDIT: Also, I don't care what anybody says, there is NO better whole body exercise than riding a dirt bike at a vigorous pace. Period.
If you ride even a little bit aggressive? It will work every muscle. And I mean EVERY muscle. It works your reflexes. It works your mind.
It makes you think on the fly. And will really test your decision making ability. It really is the ultimate workout.

Last edited:
What Bill said...........................best injury preventer is superb physically fitness. Had a good group of guys I used to ride with. Wide range of abilities..............prolly the best rider was the guy that always got hurt even from a moderate crash. Soft Nancy type...............And a mid pack guy that was built like a tank and was a good ol' farm boy that could literally bounce off the dirt and shake it off like nothing happened.

And a good workout..............heck yeah. Do an intense 20 minute moto and it's about all ya want. I'd love to get a bike again, But even this recent broken wrist has reminded me of the consequences of even minor bumps and tumbles. Plus the wrath of SWMBO😲:leaving:

"there is NO better whole body exercise than riding a dirt bike at a vigorous pace" - perhaps, but the sport of CycloCross would like to have a word with you.... (CX is riden on bicycles, and involves such things as carrying them on your shoulder while running...)

(Similar "utterly exhausting" experience....)

I really miss riding in the woods and if there was anything close I probably would have an enduro bike now. I cant ride moto cross tracks so that is out. Up until the mid 80's I could leave my house and in 15 mins:N, S, E or west, I could find a place to ride all day. Now all that is gone. I used to load up 5 bikes and head for the woods, my wife, 2 daughters and son and ride most of the day.
My older brother still has an XR600 that every time I visit I think about getting it and starting riding again , but riding alone at 77 years old probably isn't to smart.
I sure do miss my old YZ465.

I really miss riding in the woods and if there was anything close I probably would have an enduro bike now. I cant ride moto cross tracks so that is out. Up until the mid 80's I could leave my house and in 15 mins:N, S, E or west, I could find a place to ride all day. Now all that is gone. I used to load up 5 bikes and head for the woods, my wife, 2 daughters and son and ride most of the day.
My older brother still has an XR600 that every time I visit I think about getting it and starting riding again , but riding alone at 77 years old probably isn't to smart.
I sure do miss my old YZ465.

A good friend's father in law cut a wicked track into his big chunk of land and rode his YZ426 on it everyday. He invited all the young guys to ride on it. He was the only one who could make it up some of the straight up track he built. It was awesome to see him ride like that in his 70's.

Reactions: Ox
Picked up a new(used) lift................the ol Yale is kinda tired and I wanted something a bit more reliable...............don't let the shiny paint fool you, she's used......lowish hrs though 3k or so.................new grippers too...........

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

Last edited:

Back