What's new
What's new

Trim 690XT Smell

boosted

Stainless
Hey guys just reporting my experience. I finally gave up on Blaser Synergy 735 due to staining, rusting, and poor performance (especially with form taps).

After extensive research online, and after reading many positive reviews, I switched over to Trim 690XT.

I was not prepared for the smell. Holy crap. It's been two days, and the shop STINKS. The smell is very acidic, and has permeated everything. The guys I share a space with have been complaining about the smell for the first time in 5 years.

Pretty sure I am going to be pumping this stuff back out ASAP and going back to hocut 795b.

Not sure what that stuff smells like but after 30+years of using Trim Sol, it smells pretty ok- better in fact than the neighbors shop full of Blazer, and my machine tables are not a sticky mess.

That is the most horrific crap I have ever run into. The smell soaked into everything. Personally I hate it.
Switched over to Fuch's 7830.
Gary

Hey guys just reporting my experience. I finally gave up on Blaser Synergy 735 due to staining, rusting, and poor performance (especially with form taps).

After extensive research online, and after reading many positive reviews, I switched over to Trim 690XT.

I was not prepared for the smell. Holy crap. It's been two days, and the shop STINKS. The smell is very acidic, and has permeated everything. The guys I share a space with have been complaining about the smell for the first time in 5 years.

Pretty sure I am going to be pumping this stuff back out ASAP and going back to hocut 795b.

The last shop I worked in went to 690XT and we didn't experience this at all. For the life of me, can't remember what we switched from.

Did you have a rep come in on it? Before we made the switch we did a really deep clean on all the coolant systems on the machines at their recommendation.

Something else is wrong. we've been running 690xt for several years now and haven't had an Issue like this. Did you run wamex in the sumps and clean them before switching over?

If your looking for an alternative to what you were using before and the 690xt isn't working out we have been testing Oemeta Novamet 900 for a few weeks and It's just as good as the 690xt IMO.

Something is definitely wrong. I made the switch to 690XT last August and it doesn't hardly smell at all, and what little odor there is, is not objectionable. When it was brand new and fresh, it had a very slight, sweet kind of smell. But it went away after about a month and settled into what it is now, barely detectable and not unpleasant.

My first guess is that it's reacting with your old coolant. But I don't really know.

When I switched to the 690XT, I used the cleaner they recommend, which I was really impressed with. It dissolved all the old scum in my machine and I was able to just rinse it off. I thoroughly cleaned both the machine and all the coolant lines and then flushed it out good with fresh water. I then filled with the 690XT mixed with tap water.

I'm a big fan of the stuff so far. Not that I've tried a lot of different coolants. But it's been a massive improvement over the Hocut 795B I had been using for more than a decade prior.

Nothing beats that old sulfur oil we used to cut steel with back in the day for bad smell. I think it was called Withrow 66 or something with a 66 in it. It was impossible to get the odor out of clothes.

I did clean out the machine with Whamex prior to filling. However, we just drained the sump and then recharged. It could be reacting to the old coolant that was still in the lines, etc.

Just for grins I filled up a bucket with mixed 690XT, and it doesn't smell nearly as strong as the machine.

I'm going to drain the tank (again) on Monday, and fill it up fresh. Will provide an update once we start round two.

Not that its your problem, but after we do a new tank like that we take a bucket or coffee can or something and run out the coolant lines into that until it purges all the old crap. Also wash down hoses if you have them. We've ran Cinncinati,Valcool,Hangsterfers,Rustlick,Blaser, And the 690XT has been the best of the lot for us.

Nothing beats that old sulfur oil we used to cut steel with back in the day for bad smell. I think it was called Withrow 66 or something with a 66 in it. It was impossible to get the odor out of clothes.

Really? I love that smell, reminds me of being young and ambitious and when tools would actually last. And of course my mother making me buy a used washer and dryer for work clothes. I still run Sultex-D in the Cold saws and radial drills so it makes for a good day to walk around the corner and get a whiff of that smokey sulfur doing its job. Of course all the young pups complain, Ahhhh,,,,These CNC debutantes are so spoiled.

Really? I love that smell, reminds me of being young and ambitious and when tools would actually last. And of course my mother making me buy a used washer and dryer for work clothes. I still run Sultex-D in the Cold saws and radial drills so it makes for a good day to walk around the corner and get a whiff of that smokey sulfur doing its job. Of course all the young pups complain, Ahhhh,,,,These CNC debutantes are so spoiled.

My wife used to make me leave my clothes in the garage and go straight to the shower after coming home from work. She also refused to do my work clothes laundry.

I was using 690XT before, it did have some sort of cleaning product smell the first few days, but enough of it would dissipate after running a few days. That said after about 2 years in a machine that runs way oil, it got quite stinky, zero bacteria though and zero rust, I think its mostly some of the way oil mixing in coolants over time in that mill.

Been using Fuchs 7830C for 1.5 year now and its been the lowest smelling coolant I ever used so far, seems easier on the hands too. Solved my foam issues so that was priority #1.
When it sits a while a bit of some oil in it floats up top though, but a machine running regularly would likely never have that. Its also possible maybe it got a bit cold somewhere along the way, I don't know. I'll get another pail soon and see. So far I only use RO water.

The hunt for a better coolant never ends though.

We're been using 690xt for 3 or 4 years now if I could guess, smell has been very mild. Used 685 prior, 690xt is way better at rust prevention.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Really? I love that smell, reminds me of being young and ambitious and when tools would actually last.
Gear shops still live in the world of cuttin' erl. We don't have rust and bacteria problems :)

There were a lot of oils that don't smell as bad as the plumber's sulfur oil .... there was a place in Oakland that specialized in those, light, almost-clear fluids with a bunch of additives. Not as much smell, nice to use.

Chevron Met Cut 505! Those were the days eh?
Had a 55 gallon drum of that, almost filled up the tank on the 8" 18,000 lb hobber :) Don't they make it anymore ?

But the place I am thinking of was much smaller than Chevron, a one story dirty white building with loading dock out front, I think down by where Heinz Machinery was, in Berkeley. They specialized in cutting oils, had a variety for different purposes. More expensive than Metcut but if you were broaching or working with some nasty stuff, it was worth getting a 5 gallon pail. Had a nice catalog, good info inside.

Do you remember them ?

And while in the area, how about wandering around through Barker ? Kids these days don't know what they are missing :)

I switched to 690XT a little over a month ago. I noticed an extremely strong odor when I first mixed it and filled the tank, but after a few days it went away (or I got used to it). Those first hours made me wonder if it was getting me high it was so strong. I'm running around 6.5% Brix. But yeah, give it a few days, a week perhaps, and it should get better.

I have a pair of pants I used to wear while working at Schaeffler back in highschool 20+ years ago.
Still smell like that oil.

Back