What's new
What's new

Trouble with a 3 phase rpc

fourtynine

Aluminum
I just wired up a 3 phase 1.5 hp lathe to my rpc I used the skematic on the inside of the starter box , the starter is a 2 wire low volt , the pb switch is cutler hammer run rev stop , but when I throw the breaker the machine starts , it ignores the pb switch while it is running I can push the stop the compassor snap but it does not effect the motor still runs , I have doubled check the wires , and fuses . Any help would be appreciated, I will try to post pictures if it would help, already had an electrician look at it he didn't want check nothing just wanted to sell me a 200.00 switch and 2 service calls . Any one know how I can check the pb ? Thanks.

I think you are saying that you have good 3 phase, but the machine you have connected starts up right away if power is applied to it. That the machine controls do not control it.

1) Are you sure the controls are still wired up? If it used to be used with a VFD they might have been bypassed.

2) If they are wired up OK, then there must be a problem with the contactor, or with a pushbutton on the control.

But maybe I am not quite "getting it".

Going to try and put up some pictures , I was running this lathe on a vfd for 5 years last week it went kerput, so I thought I would run it on my rpc that I run my mill on , the rpc is started by a static box that starts the 2 hp converter , I only run one machine at a time anyway, but when I flip the breaker on to the static box the lathe starts ,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 60
It had the vfd on it when I bought it , he gave me the cutler hammer said if you ever get a 3 phase line you my need this , but I'm thinking this pb is bad .

So the issue is most likely to be a problem with the PB hookup, or possibly a bad PB.

Wiring problems are much more common than bad parts.... no matter how much we hate to admit that.

[QUOyes I agree, I'm going to work on it tomorrow night when I get home I'm sure there's a wire in the wrong place somewhere . Thanks for all replys.TE=JST;2717561]So the issue is most likely to be a problem with the PB hookup, or possibly a bad PB.

Wiring problems are much more common than bad parts.... no matter how much we hate to admit that.[/QUOTE]

Cutler Hammer Remote Station Wiring, Sylvania Reversing Starter

I also see improper hookup to the remote PB station.

Clues: The diagram in the cover is marked red for the 5 contact block remote station ( the diagram is illegible from my end) and it appears that this is also the switch you have, with 5 contacts. Is this the diagram you used for hookup?

When I lookup the diagram for your starter, and a fwd/rev/stop control station, the diagram shows only 3 contact blocks required. As in the upper right control station drawing on your schematic. Yours has 5 contacts, and it appears that 4 of them are being used. The other issue is your diagram is shown for a Sylvania remote station and you are using a Cutler Hammer remote station. There may be differences of terminal layouts between brands.

It appears to be the case to me, again I can't really see the contact arrangement of the CH contact blocks from the photo provided. The top two contacts appear to have a vertical arrangement while the middle two appear to cris cross, while the bottom stop contact is a horizontal arrangement.

The drawing on the starter for the OEM control station shows all 3 contacts in a horizontal contact arrangement.

You may need to transpose the remote station wiring configuration and only use 3 contacts as shown in the Sylvania OEM drawing.

Link to the starter manual drawing,Pg 53 show the reversing starter and remote station. Pg 54 shows a 5 contact remote, but shown for use on a 2 speed starter.

EDIT/CORRECTION: Pg 57 shows the reversing starter with a 5 contact remote. The additional contacts are shown for remote station electrical interlocking, in case the starter lacks mechanical interlocking. But still the drawing shows all horizontal contact arrangement.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi414n6tYrLAhUE5WMKHUy2As0QFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.danaherspecialtyproducts.com%2FuploadedFiles%2FSiteroot%2FJoslyn_Clark%2FProducts_and_Solutions%2FNEMA%2520Control%2520-%2520Heavy%2520Duty%2520(Section%2520B).pdf&usg=AFQjCNEVeoqI2Vs6wsoJlD-lG36e8RytzA&bvm=bv.114733917,d.cGc

And here's a current CH remote station similar to yours, but it doesn't show the 5 contact model, pg 18. It show a horizontal contact arrangement on all 3 contacts. I think your switch is a slightly different model with more contacts and a different layout.
It's probably still suitable for use but the contacts and wiring would need to be interpolated between the diagrams.
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@electrical/documents/content/vol07_tab01.pdf

SAF Ω

I give that a try tonight when I get home , also i see a item that says remove wire c. When using a cpt switch. I read some where that I would get a faster headstock stop time ,if I were running actual 3phase from this rpc , than I would from just the vfd. Thanks for the help and the time you took to look this up .. I got more help from you men than I did from the one I paid 90.00

Back