What's new
What's new

Trying to clear loft, sell OG redwood

Another interesting thing about redwood, at one time it must have been cheap. My folks house was all framed in redwood including the diagonal siding that was stuccoed over. House was built in the early 50s

Definitely.
And not much valued beyond exterior work & trim because it is such a soft wood.
I remember shop class projects, including a rather large/6' storage cabinet my parents acquired (not mine) that were made of RW because it was the cheapest thing to source and use. Lot's of redwood shop projects and "knick-knacks" made because it was cheap and slightly exotic, coming east from the west coast. By the time i took shop classes in 1967 or so, it was available, but no longer sourced as cheaper than better alternatives like eastern white pine. Or sometimes kabab pine. I worked on one suburban Washington DC house that was framed completely from redwood.

smt

It looks like you do a ton of interesting work, If you were closer I would be your free helper just for the fun of it

Well in the winter you would have to strap on a pair of skis.
In the summer you could teach me to pan for gold (hope i'm not mistaken, think that was you mentioned working it??), and learn to be a better grinder hand.

In between we might get some woodworking done.

:)

smt

Sorry Stephen, unfortunately 350 bf is not very much timber. A friend of mine fished the bottom 60' section of an OG Redwood that was 11' in diameter during a storm about 10 years ago. He got 20,000 bf. He built an entire barn with it, plus a huge pergola on the back of his home.

With only 350 bf you should just list it on craigslist. You've surely made your money out of it on the project you used it for. You've had it for a long time, make sure there's no bug/insect damage, IMO. Lots of damage can be done to sitting wood. It is enough to do a project or two, so I'm sure someone can use it.

As you probably know, bulk timber is not a great investment.😏

Sorry Stephen, unfortunately 350 bf is not very much timber. A friend of mine fished the bottom 60' section of an OG Redwood that was 11' in diameter during a storm about 10 years ago. He got 20,000 bf. He built an entire barn with it, plus a huge pergola on the back of his home.

With only 350 bf you should just list it on craigslist. You've surely made your money out of it on the project you used it for. You've had it for a long time, make sure there's no bug/insect damage, IMO. Lots of damage can be done to sitting wood. It is enough to do a project or two, so I'm sure someone can use it.

As you probably know, bulk timber is not a great investment.😏

There is a guy, probably a few really, I believe in California who is building redwood surf boards. May be able to find someone interested in that direction.

Back