What's new
What's new

Turbo CADCAM ?

Mike.CO

Aluminum
Last year I downloaded trial software, and decided on TCC, now they're offering a $99 upgrade to the CAD and the CAM module. This has been quite a learning curve to figure out how to draw things in CAD, not to mention getting the CAM software to generate useable code. It's been well worth it, and I'm constantly learning how to work with this. My biggest complaint is that my EZTRAK is a 2.5 axis machine, the CAM module "believes" I enjoy manually changing the Z axis constantly, and precisely. So I change the generated G code with a text editor to navigate on a single Z plane and avoid crossing over the part. I also manage this by drawing and generating G code by Z layers, creating a different file for each Z setting.
I was wondering what the list thinks of TCC, and if I should look at something else? Or have I missed a fundamental step in CAD-CAM or using TCC?
I don't think I can afford to go another direction just now, but if there is a much better solution for similar cost (I thought I paid about $700) I'll decide not upgrade and start saving my pennies. The pro packages are not an option, just too expensive for the small volume of parts I make, and my current abilities.

Thanks for your help!
Mike Henry

Check out the entry level of Onecnc. It's solid software with outstanding support. No support fees, and upgradeable to full 5 axis, solid machining at some point if you need it.

I used turbo CAD a few years back, I remember it was as much of a fight to get a project done as Bobcad ended up being.

You really don't know how easy it can be untill you've used a good CAD/CAM system.

Mike,
I played with Turbo CAD a few years ago. Then went with CADKEY, CADKEY did a better job and was easier to use.

Now I have downloaded BOBCAM and some other CAM programs.(Demos) I have found the programs cumbersome and require tweaking prior to running actual parts. I pretty much rule out CAM as the cheap ones didn't work for me and the expensive ones...well were too exepensive.

Anyway, Went to a show and a Gibbs Dealer started showing me his software, I looked but pretty much ruled out ever buying, but figured if he wanted to talk , what the hell. He did a little demo then said if he could stop by my place one day he would really show me what it could do.

He comes by a week or two later and I give him a job that took me 6 hours to program. He had it done in 20 minutes, a running program that only ran a few secounds slowwer then my tweaked program. Gave him another job, same thing.
Then he said, if you get a job running in 20 minutes and save 5-1/2hours each job, think of the extra work you could do in that time, enough to pay for the program.

Long story short, you get what you pay for. I paid a whole lot more then I ever thought I would and don't regret it. I can do more in less time and can offer better products to my customers for less money.

Back