What's new
What's new

Turning large rubber rollers?

ferrretcatcher

Aluminum
I have customer with a process that wears away some larger rubber rollers. The rollers are about a foot diameter, 7 foot long and about 60 durometer. They get worn in the center and need resurfaced to maintain a consistent thickness across them. How and what is the best way to turn rubber? Would ideally like to maintain around 5 thou in size but not sure if its possible or not. Would a really sharp HSS tool or grinding somehow be best? Maybe even a hot knife like they groove tires with would possibly work? How about a flame treatment after turning to smooth them too? Lots of ideas but no practical solutions just yet. Any information is appreciated.

Look up tire shaving, it’s popular as part of balancing heavy truck tires and also used on racing tires to change the height of the tread. I don’t know what they use to grind the tire but the one I saw working on a truck tire was a smokey mess.

The rubber roll building line I would have bought at auction for $300 if I was paying attention did it with large belt sanders.

Sir,
We used to turn rubber rolls with a tool made from on old bearing race welded to a shank with a sharpened edge and heavy feeds. Finishing was done by grinding. If I remember correctly the grinding wheel was of very course grit.

Hoods and a vacuum are much desired for grinding though.

Bob....not the cat.

If I were to guess your refinishing extruder nip rolls ( they live at the top of a blown film extruder tower) just a guess from previous incarnations!
They usually get stuffed in a lathe and ground, like a toolpost grinder set up, though I used a big Churchill roll grinder with a 40 grit wheel, dirty job but simple.
I’ve not found a turning option that didn’t tear the surface unless it was damn near frozen solid.
Grinding was the best, I’ve seen one machine with basically a belt grinder on the carriage.
Mark

You can cut rubber faster than grinding it but the finish is generally better done by grinding. To turn it you're going to want to broadnose. That is, use a razor sharp tool with a flat nose, aligned parallel to the work axis with the flat wider than your feedrate - which can be substantial. If you only have a little wear to remove, the grinder will probably do that.

Don’t think little Dumore for serious grinding. Rubber takes HP. The best machine I‘ve seen in this roll was an OD grinder set up with a belt instead of wheel and coolant dust suppression. I have turned half inch a side off slitter saw rubbers with very steep relief on knife edge HSS and heavy feed.
You might be able to rig a HD hand held belt sander with dust collection as a tool post set up. Good luck

Yep, grind if you can. Otherwise you want to go at it with the sharpest tool you have, lots of rake, peeling a wide shallow chip like a skiving tool.

I've never done the grinding thing, but if turning it, get it cold. Throw it in the freezer over night, or use dry ice to stiffen it up. Baby powder makes a good cutting lubricant and use sharp sharp HSS.

I've never done the grinding thing, but if turning it, get it cold. Throw it in the freezer over night, or use dry ice to stiffen it up. Baby powder makes a good cutting lubricant and use sharp sharp HSS.

You have a bigger freezer than I do...

And not necessary if you use the proper tooling. If you try to run a plain regular single point tool, that would help. With a broadnose tool the rubber can't flex away past the width of the tool's flat nose. It has nowhere to go but off the roll.

I have roughed them out with a carbide tip circular saw blade if they were real bad then finish with an induced porosity grinding wheel 46grit I think. Done with a Dumore TP grinder. The belt grinders look like the way to go but use what you got. Done 4"-8"x 60"L rolls. Not fast,nasty but got the job done.
I make some small 60mm polyurethane /aluminum wheels for our presses and the TP grinder and porous wheel is fast and adaquit in that application. I cover the roll with polyurethane tubing which doesn't require much grinding to true them.

Rubber Grinding Wheels and Tools

For fast roughing:
173452347.png

Belt grinder/sander mounted on the toolpost. Works better than a grinding wheel, doesn't tend to heat up or load up. Makes quite a mess, use a vacuum.

It is possible to turn some rubber compounds using a shearing type tool, HSS as I recall. I haven't done it myself but saw it done. I don't know the exact shape of the tool because the particular old-time machinist blocked my view when I tried to look closely at it. Trade secret/job security.

That SW004 or something much like it is what I would use. Angle the cutting edge into the rubber to peel the flattest widest chip you can manage.
That top one looks pretty much like what I saw from a distance before my view was blocked. I believe the edge was skewed left to right so it cut with somewhat of a slicing motion.

Back