What's new
What's new

Turret spinning round and round

Lunchbox1029

Plastic
Hey fellas. We bought a Mazak M5 with Fanuc 0i-TD control and seem to be missing some parameters. I was able to reset X and Z home positions and get it to reference return, but now when I call up a tool or try to use the manual indexer, the turret just keeps spinning. Even when I manage to get it to stop on a tool station it doesn't know what tool it's on. It always says t0000. I would like to resolve this myself but the machine did not come with manuals as far as I know, or any parameter backups.

Not familiar with Mazak but it must have some sort of switches for tool #1 and Geneva count. I would check that first.

Yeah, must be a prox out of it somewhere.
Pull the cover off and see what'chew can see....

-----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

M5's are an old machine eh?
I'm sure it's a retro.

-----------------

M5's are an old machine eh?
I'm sure it's a retro.

-----------------

They still show an M5-N on Mazak's website but it's got Mazatrol on it. That's why I'm questioning about a retrofit. Since 99.9% of turret control would be the responsibility of the retrofitter, one would hope that whomever did that would provide documentation.Sadly most don't and almost always the ladder logic is shit. If this is a retro it is a great example of less than proficient ladder skills. A better ladder would incorporate a timer so that if the turret index function is not completed within a set time the motion stops and an alarm or error message raised.

Reactions: Ox
Another thread where the OP has gone silent. Sometimes makes me wonder if responding to these help requests is worth wasting my time on when they often become dead-ends.

"Silent" maybe, but he was logged on as recently as yesterday.
So, he has been seeing our posts.

I ass_u_me that the rest of you can see the members log-on info - can't'chew?
I'm never 100% sure what y'all can or cannot see.

------------------

Yes, I saw that he had been here recently. That's kinda why I got into snark mode. Maybe he figured it out but lacks the courtesy to let folks in on what the solution was :wrong:.

... or maybe he saw some things to check or try, and went to try them?

I totally git that he could have popped his head in and said "boo", but ...

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
You repair cnc machines? If I did I'd POO-POO retrofits too, bad for your business when they don't have problems anymore
:D
Used to. Retired for quite a while now. I did do some work on retrofits. Never saw a single one that was well done. After a half dozen or so I just said no when someone called asking for help about troubles with their retrofit machine.

Used to. Retired for quite a while now. I did do some work on retrofits. Never saw a single one that was well done. After a half dozen or so I just said no when someone called asking for help about troubles with their retrofit machine.
I guess not-well-done retrofits can be a POS. I've done several that work very reliably, and have seen a number of other correctly executed retrofitted machines.

I guess not-well-done retrofits can be a POS. I've done several that work very reliably, and have seen a number of other correctly executed retrofitted machines.
They often do well for the person that did the retrofit. That person knows what they have built.

Where they have really fallen apart for me is things like poorly organized, incomplete or incorrect schematics. Sloppy wiring often without good labeling. Poorly conceived and executed ladder logic. Mish-mash of components that don’t play well together. When I was doing field service I pretty quickly figured out that it was not worth trying to clean up another’s mess.

Back