What's new
What's new

UK Balding Beaver Pal

If you want revenge, the word "Deckel" is on the packaging for half the toilet seats in Europe
No, that _is_ the lid, the toilet seat is "Klosettbrille".
(Not to put too fine a point on it!)
--
Cheers,
Arno

Hi,
Any one has the Manual for BeaverPal mill? I just bought an old mill ( my first own mill) and need to tear it down to fix some issues.

PLEASE HELP....

I cannot find it!

Email me: [email protected]

We inhereted one from my dad with the shop, had zirc grease type fittings.
The downfeed on quill is a funky design ( lots of slop )
We had been pumping it with grease when we didn't know better.
Oh and the spindle spine had tons of backlash, probably from
abuse over the years. We traded it for a new First ( Sharp )
Keep an eye on the klube issue. I would think it should be oil lubed through the
fittings like a Deckel with Vactra 2 ?

I have one of these mills as well, and I'm trying to bring it back to working condition. Trying to find a manual for part replacement and rebuild. Did you have any luck finding one, or a place where I can download a copy?

As in the late Mark McGrath's post, there is some information about them on Tony's website:- https://www.lathes.co.uk/beaver/

You can also buy a collection of information and manuals from the same site. The manuals are not particularly high quality (the originals weren't!) but there is enough information there to do a rebuild with. Specific spare parts just aren't available except from other, donor, machines Bearings, pulleys etc can be replaced with commercial items. There are few things on the mill that can't be re-manufactured from scratch, using the worn parts as patterns.

DAMHIKT!

Hey,
Trying to get an old "PAL" beaver mill back into working shape. I am literally stumped on how to get the handles of the tables screws. I've taken the set screws out everywhere I can. Anyone tell me what I am missing? Thanks

The Beaver mill (not a PAL) I looked at recently had splines for the screw handles. I could see the spline where the rise/fall handle was absent.

It's a 16 tooth spline for the two worms that nod and tilt the head and a 20 tooth spline for the knee Z feed. Both are cut with a 90° cutter for the male spline and whatever the corresponding angle is for the handles. I know this because I had to re-manufacture the splines on all three shafts because they'd been buggered up (welded the ends up and re-cut them). Then I realized that I didn't have the handles to go with them. Got a S/H handle for the knee and have glued a couple of 1/2" drive sockets to the head adjusting shafts with cerrobend until I get around to making a proper handle (mañana).

The handles Hjean99 is on about are the ones for the X and Y feeds. I'm struggling to remember how the originals are held on because mine were scrap and I had to inset new ends onto the feedscrews and fit new handles. I think there might be taper pins through the hubs, holding them on to the ends of the feedscrews. If there aren't, then they're located with a Woodruff key and a set/grub screw. They'll need a puller to get them off.

Back