What's new
What's new

Underlayment under a vise. Waxed paper, anything else, or bad idea/

Copper foil, stainless foil, I go bareback but it’s a personal preference, grease layer I’d heard a wipe over with copper sulphate to deposit a copper layer, somthing used for marking out in times gone bye, ( my youth)
I think it sounds sensible but never tried it
Mark
I have some of this I used for spark plug threads. It's thick like grease and has a copper color.

Slide no rust is what I use. It's designed to stop rust in mold parts.

I have used grease and it's such a mess.

I spray a light misting of white lithium grease, or if I know I'll be breaking the setup in the next day wd-40.

Nope, not I; I am not a moderator in General section any more.
You get in trouble? :D

Kinda bummed that my "Funny Stuff" thread got locked... Guess ill just have to sneak my memes in other peoples threads.tapatalk_-153812898_642x716.jpeg

I used impregnated cork gasketing, not to avoid a "print" but to avoid cracking the ears off the casting when bolting to a highly restrained 7/16 plate welded to the end of a 10 X 45 W section. this stuff was about .057" thick, paper or plastic film wouldn't have been thick enough.

Last edited:
You closed the Abrams tank post while I was correcting the spelling on some of the big words. I don't people to think I'm an illiterate. :drink:

The paper issue is looking like something. Squared up (I thought) four square blocks 1.850 on each edge. Line em up. Fails finger nail test.
Looks like the vise has listed one way .0005. Bareback vise riding event is next. Free tickets.

I normally do not comment on spelling or grammar errors, but if you don't want to look illiterate, perhaps you should correct the second sentence in that post.

Nope. Just got informed that "someone" asked that only Milacron be moderator in General. No further explanation. Not my biz. Don't own the place.
Meh... screw 'em. I like that you were a mod. Figured it'd take some load off Milacron and I trust that you're a voice of reason (based off of the post I've seen).

STILL bothered that I have to sneak memes in and there isn't a single place to put all of the funny stuff. When I scroll through a thread and see something funny, I like to save it to my phone or computer and share it later. I post all of my funny stuff on a welding forum in their funny stuff thread. Here's another :D

Attachments

• tapatalk_-1759508808_581x619.jpeg
    tapatalk_-1759508808_581x619.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 53
Copper foil, stainless foil, I go bareback but it’s a personal preference, grease layer I’d heard a wipe over with copper sulphate to deposit a copper layer, somthing used for marking out in times gone bye, ( my youth)
I think it sounds sensible but never tried it
Mark
Very bad, copper will etch the cast iron table very fast, copper sulphate will rust everything!!!...Phil

Always used way-lube for the past 40 years. Never had and problem with rust or stains even if vise was left on the machine for months at a time with flood coolant. Plastic shim sounds like a good long term solution.

I’ve been using food grade antiseize with good results.

I stay away from regular antiseize as it contains copper that has the potential for galvanic corrosion.

Vices and tables are not that flat, so when you tighten them down there will be small gaps. Not big gaps but they are there. I feel good about the food grade antiseize filling those gaps and staying there. Any type of paper or plastic shim will still allow fluid in via capillary action. It only takes a gap of a few tenths for coolant to get in. The hold downs clamping force is not really enough to compress the paper or plastic under the entire vice evenly.

I’ve been using food grade antiseize with good results.

I stay away from regular antiseize as it contains copper that has the potential for galvanic corrosion.

Vices and tables are not that flat, so when you tighten them down there will be small gaps. Not big gaps but they are there. I feel good about the food grade antiseize filling those gaps and staying there. Any type of paper or plastic shim will still allow fluid in via capillary action. It only takes a gap of a few tenths for coolant to get in. The hold downs clamping force is not really enough to compress the paper or plastic under the entire vice evenly.
In my case, I was more worried about the galvanic corrosion between the bottom of the mag chuck and the grinder table. Mag chuck has an aluminum bottom, sitting on the iron table top. I also hosed the table and plastic shim with Boeshield. Once dry that should have kept any wicking/capillary action at bay. Guess we will see when I get around to checking it out.

Always used way-lube for the past 40 years. Never had and problem with rust or stains even if vise was left on the machine for months at a time with flood coolant. Plastic shim sounds like a good long term solution.
Hard to go too far wrong, with more of the same crap that is already floating in the coolant tank!

After Way Lube, I would consider any product that is loaded up with Lanolin, then LPS-3, etc.

Too many tales of th eamount of creep over long term, from the various plastics, and Parrafin wax does not strike me as a very 'structural' material.

Too many tales of th eamount of creep over long term, from the various plastics, and Parrafin wax does not strike me as a very 'structural' material.
I will probably skip the paper I was using. Under high magnification the surface looks like a wool sweater.

Gold leaf is only .000125 thick and would not harm your height very much.
Good to change it with every part you mill, and I will come ad clean your dumpster..

Oiled computer copy paper might be ok and replace it once a year.

But if the whole table is buggered up from jobs and the spot where the vise was is like new that will look odd.

Last edited:

Back