What's new
What's new

Understanding Spindle Torque Charts

Micmac1

Cast Iron
We have a new machining coming in replacing our haas. The new machine has a 40HP Cat40 Direct Drive 2 Speed 15k Spindle, The haas had a 15k 30hp spindle. After comparing torque charts, the haas looks like in only has about 5-8 ft lbs lower thru the curve than the new machine. To me this seems crazy as honestly the 30hp haas spindle had no balls. The only difference i can see is that the new machine is rated oeak for 15 min vs the hass for 3 min. Realistically how do i factor/compare the hass vs the new spindle to see what the actual torque differences will be at the same ratings?

You might mention what brand is the new machine? Another Haas?
HP is one thing, the spindle drive/ controller controls the torque curve.

New Machine is a Yama-Seiki BM1500 Fanuc Oi-MF control & Fanuc a 15i drive. I should note that because the new spindle has a High & low, the charts are obviously very different than looking at the haas.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with Yama-Seiki. My only experience with Haas was a lathe that had no guts.
You could stall the spindle. So IMO anything would be better.

I currently have a haas tech working on our lathe realigning for the 3rd time in as many years.....never again.

Realistically how do i factor/compare the hass vs the new spindle to see what the actual torque differences will be at the same ratings?
The only true way that I can see is to take test cuts on each machine using identical cutting parameters and see what the differences are.
My guess is that the new machine will be better. How much better remains to be seen.

Tell us what Haas machine you are replacing? Age?
We have run into the "haas power" issue in the past.

You will have to let us know how the testing goes.

Tell us what Haas machine you are replacing? Age?
We have run into the "haas power" issue in the past.

You will have to let us know how the testing goes.
New machine is in & installed. Not even a fair comparison. We are moving on from Haas.

Back