What's new
What's new

Unholy Modification

sneebot

Stainless
This FP3 is currently up on ebay:

deeb.jpg

Anyone have any guesses as to the purpose of the crazy notch in the center of the saddle casting? The only thing I can figure is someone was too lazy to disassemble for a repair of some sort (??). The part that is cut out is part of the main saddle casting and is probably 3/8-1/2" thick. I can't imagine this did any favors to the accuracy/ stability of the saddle.

Is that part cast or just 'sheet metal'?

To some, are machines just a tool that need to do the job.
For nerds like us, it hurts to see something like this [emoji16][emoji16]

Sendt fra min Redmi Note 9 Pro med Tapatalk

Its a casting...part of the structure that supports the long "X" axis....Forms a box section that helps support the ways.
No machine user ,nerd or other would do this if they had any concept of mechanical design.
There is simply no excuse for that kind of butchery...Its like cutting one of the front wheels off your car because it had a flat tire.....
Recalls the old saying a friend of mine is keen to state for actions like this "No sense in being stupid unless you can prove it"
Here the perpetrator definitely has proven his /her stupidity past any doubt.

Cheers Ross

Wouldn't four taped holes, four cap screws and a piece of 3/4 inch steel plate put it all back together?

seems like a great bargaining point to me. ;-)

But there may be other issues....

Don't think 4 cap screws will replicate the integrity of that as a continuous casting.
I am not a structural engineer, but i view that casting as an "H" beam section, providing stability and rigidity to the ways that carry the "X" slide....
Might be OK to weld in a section of cast iron using real iron rod with true fusion weld then stress relieve the repaired casting and re-scrape the ways.
luckily i am not looking for another FP3, so for me the question is academic.
The other point here is if someone would do that to that machine, what other "gifts" has the previous owners left behind.
Cheers Ross

Back