What's new
What's new

Update on My no.3

Local631

Plastic
so a little update on my no.3 after removing all the big pieces to clean and get ready to paint I noticed that no matter what shaft you grabbed it didnt rotate with the ease of a well set up and cared for machine.. after further inspection I found allmost all bearings were way over greased to the point they were packed so much they wouldnt even turn when taken out. so I decided to strip it down so I know everything was cleaned, checked, and repaired if needed.. And it was the best choice, I wanted all the old paint removed to metal.. fired up my grinders and smoothed her edges out, then her whole body.. i used zero body filler just invested a little time and energy and sanded her until she looked and felt good.. it took a while longer than wanted. but I feel will be worth it in the long run. right now everything is empty and cleaned inside and out, all gears, shafts, bearings, and cases cleaned. all bolts, screws, nuts, and little pieces and threaded holes have been cleaned, wire wheeled, tapped,. She is looking good and ready for some more attention and new paint..

Attachments

• 7818.jpg
    7818.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 8320.jpg
    8320.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 8338.jpg
    8338.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 8622.jpg
    8622.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 8881.jpg
    8881.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 37
Dont use a high build 2 pac on smooth metal........it will crack off like a shell when impact damage occurrs.......you need a "key" on the metal ,grit blasting is ideal .

now She's looking good

Attachments

• lat7.jpg
    lat7.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 36
  • lat6.jpg
    lat6.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 37
  • lat5.jpg
    lat5.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 38
  • lat4.jpg
    lat4.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 36
  • lat3.jpg
    lat3.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 36
  • lat2.jpg
    lat2.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20221125_003942.jpg
    20221125_003942.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 36
  • lat9.jpg
    lat9.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 34
Red with metal flake? A delight to look at! I hope it's still as pleasant when coated with oil, grease, coolant and chips. :-)

well i am retired and build custom motorcycles at a limited number, as i am gutting and rebuilding my home shop and i like my shop clean and pleasing to look at.. paint color or metalic/candies/pearls are of no significant matter. the importance is in the kind and quality of the paint and in the proper application.. just like any other persons lathe no matter how nasty or foul some of these have gotten what is important is that it can be cleaned and will look good when done so.. i like to add a little color to my world.... I may have gone a little overboard with the compleate disassembly and choice of paint but after 70 years of work i felt it deserved it.. i'm sure many who use theirs in their profession or daily think i'm crazy.. but we are all crazy about something...lol

well i am retired and build custom motorcycles at a limited number, as i am gutting and rebuilding my home shop and i like my shop clean and pleasing to look at.. paint color or metalic/candies/pearls are of no significant matter. the importance is in the kind and quality of the paint and in the proper application.. just like any other persons lathe no matter how nasty or foul some of these have gotten what is important is that it can be cleaned and will look good when done so.. i like to add a little color to my world.... I may have gone a little overboard with the compleate disassembly and choice of paint but after 70 years of work i felt it deserved it.. i'm sure many who use theirs in their profession or daily think i'm crazy.. but we are all crazy about something...lol
amen

Looks fantastic. Only small issue I see is you will need to remove the paint from the faces of the hex turret. Oops.

Looks fantastic. Only small issue I see is you will need to remove the paint from the faces of the hex turret. Oops.
understood, and thank you.. I new that would have to be done but I figured I would clean them up as needed, as I probly wont have all 6 loaded for any job i'll be doing for a while... i'm just a Noob.. and i still have some more to do before She is up and running

Back